Current way to Root


Last Updated:

  1. Jcarmicha

    Jcarmicha Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    Messages:
    118
    Likes Received:
    6
    I just got my phone back from a solid two weeks of not having it and decided that it's fresh and I have nothing on it so it is time to root.

    Knowing that we are floating around between verison 2.1 and 2.2 I am a little flustered on the rooting process and would love some clarification.

    Anyways I am on Firmwate Version 2.1-update 1 and was wondering if at this point I should first root and force upgrade myself to 2.2 then install the Rom/Theme that I planned on using?

    My plans were to do the following:

    EasyRoot & install Cyanogen (Through Rom Manager) with the Watermark'd Theme.
     

    Advertisement
  2. gnath9

    gnath9 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2010
    Messages:
    418
    Likes Received:
    43
    all you need to do is Root, Install rom manager and make a back up. Thats it !!! Now you can load up your rom of choice :)
     
  3. Jcarmicha

    Jcarmicha Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    Messages:
    118
    Likes Received:
    6
    Fantastic.
    I figured since I just had my phone returned and it's back to the basics this is the time to get it all straightened out.

    Now to not get myself stuck in a boot mess!
     
  4. gnath9

    gnath9 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2010
    Messages:
    418
    Likes Received:
    43
    some people have had bad luck with easy root ... you may want to read the threads
     
  5. Jcarmicha

    Jcarmicha Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    Messages:
    118
    Likes Received:
    6
    It seems almost like it's a 75% working chance, 25% you have to do a bit more to finish it out. More of an issue with the custom recovery not sticking - But I plan on setting Cyanogen up instantly so I hope that will allow me to avoid the trouble.

    I'll read through the longer way though and see if it's something that I would have interest in. Everytime I plug my phone into my computer through the USB I get something with drivers and have yet to update them so.
     
  6. gnath9

    gnath9 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2010
    Messages:
    418
    Likes Received:
    43
    sounds like you know what your doing !!!

    check out the roms section these folks have put together ... I personaly like jrummys Lithium Mod :)
     
  7. Jcarmicha

    Jcarmicha Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    Messages:
    118
    Likes Received:
    6
    Watermark'd all the way! It looks fantastic.
     
  8. gnath9

    gnath9 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2010
    Messages:
    418
    Likes Received:
    43

    Great choice !!!!

    jrummys with watermark'D theme and P3's 1200 kernel is what I have been running. I dont see myself changing roms for awhile :) But, I always say that and then one morning ... I wake up to a new rom .... lol
     
  9. Jcarmicha

    Jcarmicha Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    Messages:
    118
    Likes Received:
    6
    Cyanogen is now installed but I am questioning a few things..?

    How do I install the Watermark'd theme from here?
     
  10. gnath9

    gnath9 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2010
    Messages:
    418
    Likes Received:
    43

    The themes must be made for your specific rom. If watermark'D is availible for cyanogen you can install it just like a rom but do not wipe data.

    the thing I really liked about Lithium Mod is that it gives you all the options for themes and kernels, etc ... so it all gets done at one time. And its in rom manager !!! I am a big fan of simple :)
     
    Jcarmicha likes this.
  11. Jcarmicha

    Jcarmicha Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    Messages:
    118
    Likes Received:
    6
    Really that all comes custon with Lithium?
    I seem to be running into random issues with Cyangomod that I don't care for thus far - Such as my LED light doesn't blink now it sticks and blinks very slowly.

    See I'm sitting here looking at kernals/themes and wondering how now since I wasn't prompted for anything haha.

    Anyways I add it to my SD card and install through Rom manager?
     
  12. gnath9

    gnath9 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2010
    Messages:
    418
    Likes Received:
    43
    yes you can ... choose "install rom from SD"

    But I think you will be very happy with lithium mod. Just start over and be sure to back up and wipe data and your all set.

    There is so many choices when loading that rom I cant list them all :)
    But roms are a personal choice.
     
  13. Jcarmicha

    Jcarmicha Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    Messages:
    118
    Likes Received:
    6
    I'll reflash it whenever I get home from work then :)

    I actually went with Cyanogen due to it being the first that I've really heard about. I'm all about testing it out now that I have an understanding of what I am actually doing.

    Through Lithium you get prompted once you decide to install that of this/that choice wise, correct?

    Now my GF is interested, so once I really have it down pat I'll teach her the madness!
     
  14. gnath9

    gnath9 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2010
    Messages:
    418
    Likes Received:
    43
    lol .... spread the love !!!

    yes you will get prompts for theme, kernel, fonts, add and remove apps, etc....

    once again I just like the ease of this rom and it runs great. jrummy is doing some great stuff now days. Honestly tho I have not tried cyanogen in a long time. The next rom I will probally try will be chevys but its kinda nice not messing with my phone right now. I got it exactly the way I want it right now.
     
  15. glitch32

    glitch32 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2009
    Messages:
    111
    Likes Received:
    2
    Agreed! I've been running Lithium Mod and i'm very happy! It's all the little stuff that makes it great, plus it's very stable.
     

Share This Page

Loading...