• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Custom Android 2.2 ROM - Tested and working great !!

BurnCK

Nov 18, 2010
Manchester, UK
I've been running an Android 2.2 custom ROM on the Orange San Francisco for a couple of days now and gotta say that it's MUCH better than the 2.1 custom ROM I was on previously.

Not come across any stability issues so far so all looks good.

The ROM includes hardware acceleration so the phone feels smoother and alot more responsive than it did on on the 2.1 ROM (I'm playing 'Need For Speed : Shift', which I thought the phone might struggle with but it runs flawlessly). It also has the added benefit of allowing apps to be installed on SD card rather than your phones memory (if the app allows it).

I'd certainly recommend trying it :

[OLED] FLB-Froyo G2 for ZTE Blade (Beta) - Android @ MoDaCo

Just download the ROM, rename it 'update.zip' and stick it on your SD card. Boot ClockworkModRecovery, and then re-flash your phone.

REMEMBER TO SELECT 'WIPE DATA/FACTORY RESET' BEFORE YOU APPLY 'UPDATE.ZIP' IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY FLASHED WITH A CUSTOM ROM.

Also remember to backup anything you wish to keep as re-flashing will wipe everything from your phone.

The ROM works with TFT screens :)

I read that the dialler can drain the battery quite quickly, but I haven't noticed any difference in battery consumption on the phone. I suppose it depends how often you use the dialler :rolleyes:

There is a choice of dialler for the ROMs on the link I posted above...I chose the Android dialler over the ZTE one.

Upvote 0
Tried this ROM a couple of days ago very impressed but I found a few problems..

Unresponsive scrolling on apps menu.
GPS not working right (google maps was saying in Skipton wherever that is??)
Web pages were shown too small in Browser (I had to press + a dozen times so I can read the webpages).
Seem to be harded to find WiFi since I added this ROM.

I've now reverted back to the R7 de-orange ROM for now until a more stable release comes out!

Thanx
Andy

Upvote 0
Hey guys
I dont own a San Fransisco (i ve got a GT540) but i just found out about it and i am pretty impressed with this phone and i am actually thinking about getting one but i d like to ask a few questions first

1)First of all how many free MB for apps are there left when you first use the phone (with the original rom and this custom one)

2)Is this ROM ready for APPS2SD (not the 2.2 native but the other one where apps go to an ext2 partition, because even with 2.2 apps2sd ~100mb arent enough...)

3)Is there an overclocking app in this ROM ? In a GT540 2.2 ROM there is one and people are reporting usable speeds up to 800mhz! If so, does it work well?That would be something worth having...

4)Is that a port of Cyanogen mod? If so does it mean that there will be a 2.3 ROM later on when theres a stable 2.3 based Cyanogen ROM? How cool would that be ?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Can't say I noticed your issue of unresponsive app menu but I was going to post about the GPS as I noticed the same issue....however, there is a revised version of this ROM now (r4) which was released today. I've tried it and the GPS is now working fine and some other minor bugs have been fixed too :)

Hey there, very impressed with r4 ROM works great, I've now updated to r5a since & looking forward to future updates.

Web pages still shown small in browser (for example try view this web site to see what I'm on about) but other than that it seems like a great package!!

I've now downloaded Titanium backup just in case I feel I need to revert back to Android 2.1.

Thanks
Andy

Upvote 0
BurnCK any chance you can update your original how to flash guide? adding TFT, and the new ROM? cos im planning on flashing my sisters bf's phone and its all confusing at the moment........

i.e

Do you take the same steps flashing it for the first time?

can you flash it from new to this new one? will it be debranded still?

also it says on modaco to update clockwork recovery?

all confusing for a newbie...i like to understand it all before i do anything..lol...soz for all the q's....

Upvote 0
I have installed 2.2 Froyo Japanese Jellyfish RLS3 and I think it's great. The only issue I am getting is that the phone sometimes lockup and I have to take the battery out to reset. Not sure if this is the ROM or a downloaded App that is causing it though. MoDaCo has now also updated this ROM to version RLS6 now and I only did it last week !

Upvote 0
BurnCK any chance you can update your original how to flash guide? adding TFT, and the new ROM? cos im planning on flashing my sisters bf's phone and its all confusing at the moment........

i.e

Do you take the same steps flashing it for the first time?

can you flash it from new to this new one? will it be debranded still?

also it says on modaco to update clockwork recovery?

all confusing for a newbie...i like to understand it all before i do anything..lol...soz for all the q's....

I've been meaning to update but not got round to it. Will try and make time to do it this week :)

Reactions: tarzan12
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones