• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Custom Boot animation Figured out!

adb is aprogram from the android sdk. Install it to the C drive under sdk and put the zip file (and audio file if applicable) in c:\sdk\tools then you would run a command prompt

c:\Users\Azelis> cd\
(backslash is important)

c:\> cd sdk/tools
c:\sdk\tools> adb push bootanimation.zip (destination folder on droid here, for the Incredible it's /data/local/ )

Heh forgot to mention, you need to have the phone plugged in and booted up. Then under settings -> applications -> development enable USB debugging. That starts the adb engine on your droid. Now you should be able to connect to it with the computer/sdk.

Upvote 0
The awesome script

use linux

Code:
#cleans up the mess
rm *.png

#send ripped flv from the tube to a stack of pngs
ffmpeg -i mars.flv -f image2 %05d.png
#ffmpeg -i mars.flv -r 3 -f image2 %05d.png
############### -r for timelapse goodness
#spin the image
mogrify -rotate '90' *.png
#dereeeeeeez
mogrify -colors 128 *.png
#slam source images into a box
mogrigy -resize 480x480 *.png
#some other size perhaps?
#mogrify -verbose -quality 0 -resize 240x240 *.png 

#move stuff around
mkdir mars
mkdir mars/woo
mv *.png mars/woo/
#build the desc.txt
echo 480 480 24 > mars/desc.txt
echo p 1 1 woo >> mars/desc.txt
echo p 0 0 woo >>mars/desc.txt

#lets you know the fun is done
google-chrome http://www.youtube.com/watch?

zip everything the the mars/ and then push with adb into /data/local/bootanimation.zip

Working on 2.2:
CyanogenMod-6.0.0-Droid
kernel 2.6.32.9

Upvote 0
Hey guys I just learned to flash and deodex my droid x a couple days ago and now I want to add a custum animated boot, I got this awesome unstable core boot animation and its in a zips file inside it has two folders and I think its frame and a file called desc. I want to installed in my droid x 2.2 rooted, superuser,rom manager, droid x recovery, what would I need and need to do install it please help? Thanks

Upvote 0
Hey guys I just learned to flash and deodex my droid x a couple days ago and now I want to add a custum animated boot, I got this awesome unstable core boot animation and its in a zips file inside it has two folders and I think its frame and a file called desc. I want to installed in my droid x 2.2 rooted, superuser,rom manager, droid x recovery, what would I need and need to do install it please help? Thanks
your lucky. i just figured out how to put boot animations on really easily 2 days ago. oh btw when you put that animation on the phone it doesnt look as cool as it does on the computer saddly. anyway what you will need is an app called terminal emulator. (free from app store) and the zip file. get back to me when you got that. oh and your going to need your computer...

Upvote 0
your lucky. i just figured out how to put boot animations on really easily 2 days ago. oh btw when you put that animation on the phone it doesnt look as cool as it does on the computer saddly. anyway what you will need is an app called terminal emulator. (free from app store) and the zip file. get back to me when you got that. oh and your going to need your computer...

Can I use the android terminal emulator because I have it on droid x and what would I need to do now ? Oh yeah why am I lucky?

Upvote 0
Yeah that's the one I have jacks palevich
alright good. well im in school so i cant give you everything but i can start you off. first connect your droid to your computer and mount it. after the files open take your .zip file and put it on your phone. NOT IN ANY FOLDERS! once it is copied to your phone rename the .zip "bootanimation" dont put .zip at the end because it will automaticaly do that for you. after that unmount the phone.
when i get home from school i will tell you how to do the rest.
not much longer. :)

Upvote 0
alright good. well im in school so i cant give you everything but i can start you off. first connect your droid to your computer and mount it. after the files open take your .zip file and put it on your phone. NOT IN ANY FOLDERS! once it is copied to your phone rename the .zip "bootanimation" dont put .zip at the end because it will automaticaly do that for you. after that unmount the phone.
when i get home from school i will tell you how to do the rest.
not much longer. :)

The .zip folder in my computer is called bootanimatio.zip so I don't need to rename it any more once its in my phone, correct? Okay cuz im at school too.

Upvote 0
The .zip folder in my computer is called bootanimatio.zip so I don't need to rename it any more once its in my phone, correct? Okay cuz im at school too.

It depends. When you put it on your droid if it has .zip at the end then erase it to where it is just says bootanimation.
Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday I was busy.
Ill be up late tonight so ill deff beable to help you out tonight.

Upvote 0
It depends. When you put it on your droid if it has .zip at the end then erase it to where it is just says bootanimation.
Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday I was busy.
Ill be up late tonight so ill deff beable to help you out tonight.

I dont know if that matter if say's .zip in my phones file because its a zip file correct so it should say .zip at the end of a zip file? well tell me how to erase it when its in my phone files?

Upvote 0
I dont know if that matter if say's .zip in my phones file because its a zip file correct so it should say .zip at the end of a zip file? well tell me how to erase it when its in my phone files?

Correct. But it shouldn't be in the name because it is automatically a .zip file so for exsample if you put bootabimation.zip on your phone it is going to register it as bootanimation.zip.zip.
btw if you don't reply I will forget I am telling you how to do thus or else big would have done this the other day for you.

Upvote 0
Correct. But it shouldn't be in the name because it is automatically a .zip file so for exsample if you put bootabimation.zip on your phone it is going to register it as bootanimation.zip.zip.
btw if you don't reply I will forget I am telling you how to do thus or else big would have done this the other day for you.

Sorry i was so busy yesterday and today, thats why i didnt respond but yeah when i placed to my droid file from my computer its says in my droid file "bootanimation.zip" not "bootanimation.zip.zip"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones