Custom Boot Animation

Last Updated:

1. Danielson2047

Danielson2047 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So i've found plenty of tutorials on how to get a custom boot animation on my droid. First question, they all say to use the "terminal". Is this just an app? Secondly it asks to copy a file in the systems folder, can i pull this from a nandroid backup? I love the boot animation from smoke themed liq frozen yogurt, just not the rom itself. Thanx.

Advertisement
  2. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Well-Known Member

gndmepyon likes this.
  3. istolvampire

istolvampire Well-Known Member

I use root explorer. What is, if any, the benefit of using terminal to implement the boot animation?

4. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Well-Known Member

That's the way I do it, too, or just use the "switchboot" script from Pete (for which I use Terminal Emulator). The OP was asking what terminal was.

istolvampire likes this.
  5. supersaki

supersaki Well-Known Member

Terminal is free, root explorer isn't. That's the only real benefit I can think of.

Also, rather than copying it to /system/media/ I find it's better to copy it to /data/local/

This way, you will always have the default (for your rom) if you don't like the new one, and you also don't have to worry about rw permissions on /system

The second one isn't as big a deal if using root explorer, but saves a command or two if using terminal.

gndmepyon likes this.
  6. istolvampire

istolvampire Well-Known Member

Can you explain the Data/local? Just put it in Data/local and I won't have to do it after each rom? Is that correct? How do I tell it to use that location instead of system/media? Thanks

7. Papadroid

Papadroid VIP Member VIP Member

Yes you will have to do it after each ROM if you do a wipe (which is always a good idea)

The only requirement is making sure the animations is named bootanimation.zip. Once you place it in the data/local that boot animation will load instead of the system default. There are no extra steps. By putting it in data/local it allows you to easily change out boot animations and allows you to go back to the original by deleting your current one in data/local.

gndmepyon and istolvampire like this.
  8. supersaki

supersaki Well-Known Member

Same steps, just instead of copying bootanimation.zip to /system/media use /data/local/

Android will check that location first before going to the /system/media one.

If you don't wipe data when switching roms, the boot animation will still be there.

gndmepyon likes this.
  9. gndmepyon

gndmepyon Well-Known Member

This is great information thanks.

10. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

I have the Droid X boot animation and used root explorer to place AND the droid sound file that came with it. the boot animation plays, but sadly, like many, no sound.