Custom Boot Animation?

Last Updated:

1. AnotherFatalEpic

AnotherFatalEpic Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm having trouble and I'm too noob to understand the other threads. I downloaded the bootanimation.zip for the droid 2 and all instructions and tips say:

If your rooted it's as easy as putting it in the /data/local folder!

Well there is a /data folder on my Nexus and it's empty. If I try to make a new folder it says "cannot create new folder" in File Explorer that came with CM6.1... Astro greys out the create folder button.

What am I missing?

Also I saw that you can ADB push it. WTF does that mean?? I know how to do some fastboot stuff.. is it the same? reboot the phone with the USB connected and run commands on my PC?

Please help. :confused:

EDIT: I found the file bootanimation.zip in /System/Media so maybe it's in different spots for different people.

But I can't rename the original (when replacing things like this I usually put OLD in the name so it's there in case I screw something up) and I can't paste a copy of bootanimation.zip into there with Astro or File Manager. I know I'm missing something here, but WHAT?

Advertisement
  2. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

A file manager that supports root.

AnotherFatalEpic likes this.
  3. AnotherFatalEpic

Which is what I figured since I've always used Astro.

However, there is a file manager that comes with the CM6.1 rom and I am assuming this SHOULD support root.

Am I wrong?

NOTE: I ran "Fix Permissions" in Rom Manager to see if it would do anything. It ran for awhile and told me to reboot. I am still getting error messages from Astro and File Manager when I try to edit something in the root directory.

4. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Does it ever ask for root access? That'd give an answer.

Still, ADB push will do it for sure, the commands are:

adb remount
    adb push bootanimation.zip /system/media

AnotherFatalEpic likes this.
  5. AnotherFatalEpic

OK, I just learned Astro won't work because it doesn't have su permissions. Makes sense but I figured the File Manager that comes with CM6.1 would, but I guess it doesn't either.

My only option is Root Explorer, however I don't want to pay. Are there free alternatives?

NOTE: I actually got this working by using the Terminal Emulator and typing:

su (enter)
    cp /sdcard/bootanimation.zip /data/local/ (enter)

I was having trouble because my "bootanimation.zip" is in the /System/Media/ folder, however putting the file in /data/local/ worked perfectly.

I now have the Droid 2 bootanimation Lol. I really like the one with the ink splatters but I don't like how it says "eclair 2.1" at the end of it all.

6. AnotherFatalEpic

It works and all. But now I'm still wondering if there's any free alternatives to Root Explorer.

However, if I can use terminal emulator or do an adb push, is there ANY reason that any of you guys know about for having a file manager with root access? it would have saved me the headache of all this but the Terminal Emulator was a lot easier than I thought.

7. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Some people just prefer the graphical interface. Kinda like Windows v DOS for copying/deleting files.

8. AnotherFatalEpic

Oohhh, makes sense. Especially if you put it that way.

I just got a refund from ASTRO. I bought the key today, well because I just really REALLY like ASTRO for some reason. I don't even see the ads in the free version *adfree* but I wanted to send some support.

BUT after this thread I got a refund and am now wondering if I should just use the money for Root Explorer. I guess at this point I might as well wait until I need to edit something in root before I waste brain energy on whether I want to pay for another file manager.

Thanks Rusty!

9. AnotherFatalEpic

So much time has passed yet I still need to do a google search for my own post to remember how to push the new bootanimation to my phone with terminal emulator :rolleyes:

10. hflpjtrade

hflpjtrade New Member

I am trying to move the boot animation file on to a rooted droid x and do not see the folder data/local on my sd card i tried to create it and boot boot animation in there any ideas