1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

custom boot animation

1. shrpshtr325

shrpshtr325 Well-Known Member

i have found a boot animation i prefer over the stock one, but i cant seem to get the phone to pick it up and use it, i have tried dropping the file into the /system/media folder, as well as the one other place (i cant remember where it was right now i think /data/xxxx i could be way off tho)

anyone know how to do this yet??

Advertisement
    :
  2. SolidOrange

SolidOrange Well-Known Member

Try data/local, and make sure to rename the file "bootanimation.zip" :cool:
    Scur likes this.
  3. shrpshtr325

ok, well i tried putting bootanimation.zip in /data/local (i pushed it in with adb from recovery mode) and i did not change anything,

in the /system/media folder i have a file named bootsamung.qmg (and i have read that samsung uses their own file format for the boot animation so it makes sense to me that it cant be done with a .zip file)

this being the case, do i simply need to wait for a new rom before i can get this?
  4. dwitherell

dwitherell Well-Known Member

I believe this is dictated by the kernel, not the rom
  5. buffaloquinn

buffaloquinn Member

Introducing myself so I can post a link in my next comment, thank you very much!
    I'm buffaloquinn and my wife and I both have Strats.
  6. buffaloquinn

buffaloquinn Member

The Strat uses a different format for its Boot Animation, it does not use the "bootanimation.zip" many of us consider the standard. There are 3 files altogether:
    in /system/media
    bootsamsung.qmg & bootsamsungloop.qmg
    in /system/etc
    PowerOn.wav

This is a link to one that does work and you can install it through recovery:
    [EI2][Rom][Odin][Cwm]TweakStock v1.0 - RootzWiki
    (Look for it in EXTRAS for "Another Boot Animation" - It's a Droid boot animation and sound file)

There are a few other phones that use this format and I've swapped in the files from those phones and they've worked for me, I'll post the links when I find them.

I would love to try to do some custom bootani's (I've done some for the Acer A500 tab) but I have not figured out how to edit the .qmg files.

As "dwitherell" posted already, this limitation is probably dictated by the kernel. Apparently other Samsung phones have had modified kernels created that allow using the "bootanimation.zip" method. Maybe someone will be able to do that for the Strat as well.
    GuS807 and SolidOrange like this.
  7. buffaloquinn

buffaloquinn Member

I found a link to a series of zips someone compiled for use in another Samsung:
    Index of /files/android/SPH-D700/bootani-qmg

The zips contain the files necessary for the boot animation.
    I haven't tested them all yet. Some look good on the Strat, some don't.
    To use them extract the files from the zip and look for the following 3 files:
    bootani.qmg
    bootsamsungloop.qmg
    PowerOn.wav

I would suggest putting each set in its own folder so you can keep track of them. Rename the bootani.qmg to bootsamsung.qmg in each folder.
    Copy or send these folders to the Strat SD card.
    To test each one simply copy the .qmg files into /system/media (say yes to overwrite) and copy the PowerOn.wav into /system/etc (yes to overwrite).

*** I would recommend making a folder for the original bootani files (on the SD card) before you do this of course so you can copy them back if you want. The Armani boot from the Galaxy S is pretty cool!
    SolidOrange likes this.
  8. dwitherell

For those wanting boot animation support of the sanim.zip nature - thanks to a collaborative effort that included a number of individuals (mainly rhcp, KnightCrusader, imnuts, and tonsit) just such a kernel has come about. It also supports undervolting and overclocking for those that are interested, and includes a host of other features. If you would like to give it a go (I highly recommend such things) check it out here!
  9. buffaloquinn

buffaloquinn Member

Are you going to post this over on Rootzwiki?
    I installed it already, (running TI-X Rom) and it looks good so far. Now where do we get those 'sanim.zips' ?
  10. buffaloquinn

buffaloquinn Member

So here it goes!
    If, and only if, you've installed the kernel mentioned above, you may use this boot animation.
    I adapted this from one I made for the A500 tablet so it plays in landscape. Timing is almost perfect on my Strat's boot up. Please note that this does not have, nor will it change the boot sound currently on your Strat.
    Once you have downloaded the file you should copy it into the "/system/media " folder on your phone using your favorite file manager.
    The file is a bit on the large size right now, I will try to pare it down next time around.
    sanim.zip

This is a preview of the animation:

[​IMG]
    SolidOrange likes this.
  11. dwitherell

Nice! There are a number that can be found here - I tend to go for those made by JaeKar99 myself.
    It looks like the kernel is posted on roots (here)... there's also a new version of TweakStock out (v1.4) that has the kernel bundled with it.
    SolidOrange likes this.
  12. buffaloquinn

buffaloquinn Member

JaeKar99 is the man. That's who showed me how to do them to begin with.
    Here is another converted for the Strat:
    AppleZapped-bootanimation.zip

Sorry, I don't have the preview of this one. It is called Apple-Zapped. Rename it to use it.
    SolidOrange likes this.
  13. shrpshtr325

here is the .zip that i used on mine, looks good IMO.

its wireframe andy

Attached Files: