• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[CUSTOM BOOT SPLASH][HOW-TO] Change VM's "Hello" screen!

Dracable

Android Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2012
Humboldt County, CA
phandroid_zps2af82509.png

How to change the Virgin Mobile "Hello" boot logo

Customized PNG-2-RLE Batch Utility

The splash screen on the Virgin Mobile Alcatel/PCD Venture is a bit trickier than others. Ive been researching this diligently for a couple months now, and Im thinking there is something goofy with the coding in the framebuffer, but im not quite yet brave enough to tackle a custom kernel. Anyway, i FINALLY was able to come up with a workaround for it, tested and working! If you follow my instructions EXACTLY, you will have a beautifully UNDISTORTED custom splash screen for your Venture! I put a LOT of time and effort into figuring out and making this workaround, so please dont be shy with that "thanks" button if my work helps you out! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me on androidforums.com at: Dracable. Have fun!!

P.S. PLEASE READ my README_VM_VENTURE.txt file that is in the root of the zip! It contains NECESSARY information to creating a working boot splash! If you dont follow step-by-step, your splash will be corrupt and completely distorted!

DOWNLOAD VM VENTURE PNG-2-RLE SPLASH UTILITY

Thanks to Yagya Gaire at Handy Information for the original (unmodified) source of the converter!

:) Enjoy!!! :)

IMG_20121228_194653.jpg

[photo of my splash for my ROM under development, "DRAndroid"]

as long as people follow my customized instructions in the README_VM_Venture.txt, id be really surprised if anyone had any issues with this tool. i did lots of research and this is the easiest utility for creating a working splash. granted, the instruction u have to follow for my workaround is a tad lengthy, but i feel like i explained the process in detail enough so even not-so-advanced users shouldnt have too much of an issue getting a working splash. i guess only time will tell!! haha!

please leave your feedback everyone! thanks!

Upvote 0
yeah, u can design your own custom image in photoshop or just resize an existing image you already have. detailed instructions are in the readme_vm_venture.txt inside the utility's zip. the power off screen doesnt actually have a splash. on power off, the stock animation plays the virgin mobile power off animation then shows a red "bye" on a black background. the red "bye" isnt actually a splash, it is part of the poweroffanimation.zip. there is no power off "splash".

Upvote 0
well, if u just tell me which rom u r using, i probably have the boot.img on hand for it.

as for the image u want to use, send it in an email attachment to me. it needs to b 235 width by 320 heigth (235x320). ill modify it the rest of the way for u and pack it into the boot.img and send it back to u. check your private messages for my email address.

Upvote 0
Hi Dracable.

Maybe you'll see my post... I hope...
I have the same issue with my phone (Samsung SGH-T989)
I know it's different from yours but maybe you can figured out why it appends to me also ?
I'm not an expert with art graphics compression... ( I don't have photoshop... I've worked on with Paint and Microsoft Photo Editor 3.0.2.3)
Ok here's the link to see my original initlogo.rle
.png from converted .rle with the app to convert it...
and a pic of the origin splash screen of how it realy appears on my phone.
It's kind different from what we can see when extracted and converted to png
Ok thanks
embed
embed
embed

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=27995EC7F1FF9E5C!136

Upvote 0
Hi Dracable.

Maybe you'll see my post... I hope...
I have the same issue with my phone (Samsung SGH-T989)
I know it's different from yours but maybe you can figured out why it appends to me also ?
I'm not an expert with art graphics compression... ( I don't have photoshop... I've worked on with Paint and Microsoft Photo Editor 3.0.2.3)
Ok here's the link to see my original initlogo.rle
.png from converted .rle with the app to convert it...
and a pic of the origin splash screen of how it realy appears on my phone.
It's kind different from what we can see when extracted and converted to png
Ok thanks
embed
embed
embed

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=27995EC7F1FF9E5C!136
he hasent been on here for over 6 months so u probly won't get Amy response from I have tryed no responce thought I let u know try talking to some one on xda

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones