• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Custom Carbon Fiber Skin for the EVO :) DIY & PICS!

Hrshycro

Jun 9, 2010
4705256531_cce79b7ab9.jpg
4705897926_1f403db639.jpg
4713588596_88ce0327a0.jpg

4712951599_248f550238.jpg
4712950671_25293211f0.jpg

PREMADE:
For all of you who would like to buy one from me, I'm completely up to it and willing to do it, however, I haven't thought of a safe, effective and worth while way. Since I used the battery cover as my guide, I would imagine it would be harder to make precise cuts if I made a pattern to follow, plus the buyer would have to align it, heat shrink it, ect.

The only thing I can think of is to find some cheap battery covers (Haven't found any yet) and just make them on the battery cover, then you could switch it out and still have your original batter cover as well. Or, like the person above said, use cheap snap on or acrylic cases.

If you have any ideas, let me know. ;)

DIY:
Okay, as far as the DIY goes, it's not hard to do.

Order up a sample for $8 from carbonfiberfilm.com which includes free shipping; only took two days for mine to get to Idaho from the East Coast.

Get a piece of cardboard or other safe cutting surface, then remove the battery cover.

You'll need the sample, an X-acto knife with new blade and a hair dryer.

Cut some off the end of the sample so it's just slightly bigger than the battery cover.

Make sure the battery cover is clean and free of grease and dirt, then align the sample with the case, remove the backing and then place it on as smoothly as you can. You can use a credit card to smooth any bubble out; I didn't need one, but that's what to use if need be.

After getting it somewhat stuck on there evenly and free of air bubbles, heat it up with the hair dryer on low to heat shrink it a bit.

Take your x-acto knife and use the battery case as your guide. I was very careful, took my time and used common sense, and somehow managed not to slice any part of the case away or scratch it. I rough cut the extra from the back to the front, then from the front to the back for the last touch up of the excess.

After that, re-heat shrink it and make sure it's all the way sealed down on the edges.

As far as the speaker holes go, just do the big ones and use a sowing needle just big enough to go all the way though the hole; from the front to the back, push then pull the needle though 2 or 3 times per hole, you might have to use some pliers to grip the needle to pull it all the way though.

It's been a few days now and it's still sticking down perfectly, feels great and the employees at the sprint store were very into it. Haha.

Reactions: newone757

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones