? Custom firmware cyanogenmod

Last Updated:

1. zopper

zopper Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi there, Has anyone managed to load a custom firmware onto the Droid X? e.g cyanogenmod Regards, z

Advertisement
  2. anaphora68

anaphora68 Well-Known Member

Yes, Birdman and P3Droid have released custom ROMs. Both are still based on Blur.

I'm not sure if Koush is working on porting Cyanogen Mod or not. The issue lies with the fact that nothing can be done with the Kernel.

There is another ROM in the works, called Obsidian. Check out ccroms.net. That's a few weeks out, though.

3. zopper

Good news that other ROMs are available. However, I eagaly await a new kernel. If new kernels are possible I shall buy the 'phone (or the Droid X when (or if) its out in the UK).

4. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Well-Known Member

The locked bootloader prevents custom kernels, so the best we can hope for is what the milestone user have which is a quasi second boot process (in my understanding). I haven't seen anything anywhere about 2.2 injectible kernels for overclocking/undervolting like in 2.1, maybe someone is working on it, idk.

as for the droid x in the uk, i havent seen anything like that anywhere. motorolla has a few phones scheduled for european release but a renamed dx was not one of them. (it wouldn't be the droid x name, because thats a verizon exclusive, like the droid became the milestone).

5. anaphora68

anaphora68 Well-Known Member

As of right now, there is no way to inject a new kernel. Is it being worked on, probably. But, the amount of labor is probably not worth it.

Moto is not going to release a European version of the Droid X. I don't see them bringing it to market, not with the way Samsung is pushing the Galaxy S. That's just a thought.

If you're waiting on the kernel, you will be waiting for a long, long time. Honestly, I am going to probably pick up a Verizon Fascinate if the bootloader is not locked, and if Cyanogen Mod is ported.

6. Mojorisen

Mojorisen Well-Known Member

This also brings up CDMA (primarily U.S.) vs GSM (primarily not U.S.). Moto would have to rebuild the X for a GSM model, which probably, and most likely, won't be happening...

7. LexusBrian400

LexusBrian400 Well-Known Member

They did it for the Droid/Milestone. So, its not crazy to think they would make their flagship phone with a GSM model also.

8. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

where is that big news:D
    is it coming soon...I want it now:p

9. Mojorisen

Mojorisen Well-Known Member

Well, I guess there's usually one exception to every rule...

But why make an X GSM? If we're talking Motorola's flagship phone, they'd probably do the D2 and not the X.

10. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

I hear a lot about this Cyanogen Mod. Just how different is it from standard Android? You know like what are the major improvements or features? Anyone know?

11. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

Since its built from source it can do alot if things modded OTAs can't
    Like a reboot recovery option in the power off screen, 360

12. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

13. aloha.android

aloha.android Well-Known Member

Isn't ccroms working on "OBSIDIAN"?? They are the same team that released Ruby and Sapphire. I hope to see great progress from them.

14. zopper

Agreed. I know that I may have to wait a long time for a kernel for the Milestone 2, but I have been wait for the right 'phone since Nokia released the n770.

All I want is a Linux based phone with a descent digital external output for videos (e.g hdmi). Otherwise I would have gone for the Samsung S.

The Droid 2/Milestone 2 has HDMI, but the reviews I read about these devices when playing AVI containers gave me compelling reasons not to buy one because although the h/w was capable, the O/S and installed software could not play anything more than 10 mins. Not a lot of use for watching feature length films. My objective is 'phone that can do this: email, telephone, browser, PMP, read/write documents, and be customizable and a very nice looking UI. Android is fine for this, but the Droid 2 falls short in the software. I read some reviews for the Nokia n8 just in case, but this probably won't cut it, as the UI is clunky.

Therefore, I await a descent kernel for the Droid2 (or Droid x if a gsm version is released), the Acer Stream, or a new Samsung Galaxy with an HDMI: Each of these has to be able to function well as a PMP with external HDMI (The nokia n900 was close, but the external o/p was a TV-OUT only and not digital. SD films are meant to be ok, but accessing anything else is not so good. The resolution was rather low).

S|Maybe some kernels will come out for the Acer Steam. It does look nice.

15. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

Well they have a Proof of concept which doesn't prove much if you ask me. It's just a custom boot animation. He wants donations for a DX so they can do the ROM. I gave them a few $$ here's to hoping.

16. VDubBugMan53

VDubBugMan53 Well-Known Member

if you ask me from the looks of my twitter updates it looks like the bootloader and kernels are not to far out

17. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

Well those twitter teases have been a let down before. So I'll believe it when I see it;)

18. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Well-Known Member

Yes they have, that's why I'm not getting excited about any of this yet.

19. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

Yeah we'll probably find out its for the Droid2:(

20. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Well-Known Member

Birdman, p3droid etc are basically developing for the dx right now and just port over what they do to the d2. that said, because the phones are almost identical any progress regarding hijacks, bootloader, kernels etc would apply to both with only small revision.