Custom incoming email contact alert?

Last Updated:

1. madmumbler

madmumbler New Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, I have searched all over and have not found an answer to this problem.

I switched to a Droid X from a BlackBerry. On the BlackBerry, not only could you set phone and SMS custom alerts and ringtones (in addition to custom ring profiles for certain contacts), you could also set email alerts.

So for example, if my husband emailed me, it would ring a custom alert for his email, not just for an email to that particular account. That meant I didn't need to look at my phone every time got an email to see who it was from. (I have a web-based business and I get literally hundreds of emails every day.)

On the BlackBerry, not only were there custom inboxes for each email account, there was a "universal" inbox. There doesn't seem to be a function exactly like that for the Android (I tried adding my Gmail accounts to the one there, but it keeps defaulting me back to each Gmail box).

Is there an app for this?

I have Ringo Pro for my custom sms and call alerts, but an email alert would be a lifesaver. There are a lot of BB converts to Android (and I'm sure more to come) who would gladly pay for an app to handle this. So far, it's the only thing I can see where the Droid X doesn't beat the BB.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. eraursls1984

eraursls1984 Well-Known Member

That and BBM. Other than those two things for me Android has BB beat. I believe the BB Facebook app is much better also but I don't use it.

3. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Create labels and use one of those Gmail Notifier / Label Notifier apps to achieve what you need.

4. jimdroid

jimdroid Well-Known Member

+1

5. TLDspectre

TLDspectre Well-Known Member

You might want to check out K9 mail:

k9mail - Project Hosting on Google Code

K9 allows you to have custom settings for each email account, including custom ringtones/vibrations, and you can specify an LED color notification for each email account as well. It also has a universal inbox.

BTW, the standard "Messaging" app should list all the accounts you've created under the "Accounts" setting and includes a universal inbox. Don't know if this works for multiple gmail accounts (I only have one) but it does work for multiple pop3, IMAP and Exchange accounts. It also lists any text message threads (shows the most recent message from the discussion) and any Facebook emails as well (assuming you set up a Facebook account).

6. madmumbler

madmumbler New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the advice! I did find the Gmail Label Notifier app and bought that. I'll try the K9 mail and see how that works too.

Thank you!