Custom Kernel

Last Updated:

1. Burnninator

Burnninator New Member This Topic's Starter

Don't know if anyone over here cares, but zefie over on SamsungMomentForum.com released a custom kernel with a bunch of fixes. Including a partial audio buffer fix, and a bunch of tweaks and optimizations. Also, persistant root so you can run a bunch of those programs on the market that require it. No wifi tethering yet, but it is being worked on. Not sure if this includes the battery notification fix because I had already installed CL14 the other day and it's been working for me ever since.

This was not difficult to install, once you have the software and drivers required, the update takes less than 30 seconds. Good Luck!

Here's a link:
    Time for the first custom "ROM" (well kernel)

Advertisement
  2. aclark414

aclark414 Well-Known Member

What is CL14?

3. numus

numus Banned

CL14 is an evil evil leak that samsung messed up and put on Studio New PC that will brick your phone in its standard form.. Zefie has been working on tweaking some of the settings and ported a part of the kernel tho..
    There is still no fix for the battery indicator issue and Wireless Network Location but the new kernel has processor optimization (you can really notice it while using the magnometer in programs such as compass.. there is a faster and smoother tracking accuracy)...

Zefie has been doing some awesome work tho and his new kernel is incredibly easy to install (and requires no reboot/software reinstall)..
    Persistant root is awesome now that it isn't required to partition out the SD card and have it boot from that..

P.s. Zefie apperently also ported over the hard reset (volume down, call, end) so we now have a hard reset option...

4. agent0014

agent0014 Well-Known Member

Hooray for everything!!!

5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member

Great to see some REAL progress!

6. Burnninator

Strange, I have yet to hit 15% on my battery since updating to the CL14 hybrid. And I am able to go a whole day without having to find a charger. In fact, I purposely left my phone off the charger one night to see how long it would go, and it still had power when I woke up in the morning.

Keep the placebo effect coming if that's all it is, because I was about to throw this thing out the window before the update.

7. numus

numus Banned

There is no BATTERY PROBLEM there is a BATTERY INDICATOR problem.. As in.. your phone drops to 15% within a few hours of use.. when the OS reads 15% your battery is usually at the 80-30% range...
    Every tips and tricks out there mentions almost first thing that the battery will last forever at the 15% mark, but it hits that way to fast and the tips are an attempt to calibrate the meter to not drop as drastically as it does out fo the box

8. Burnninator

Before the update, my phone would hit 15% in a 2-3 hours and be dead in 6. Since the update, I have been able to go a full 24 hours without hooking it up to a charger. Like I said, if its placebo, keep it coming.

Sorry you had to resort to using the bold button, didn't mean to upset you in any way.

9. numus

numus Banned

Naa.. i just had a huge headache adn getting tired of trying to tell people who to distinguish between the battery indicator issue and the Wireless network location issue..
    People keep claiming there is a battery issue (which there isn't) and an aGPS issue (which there isn't)...

10. agent0014

Just because there is a battery indicator problem, it does NOT mean that there is not a battery problem in some cases. I'm really getting annoyed with people who have good battery life assuming that their experience is the common one. Unless you've gone and gathered very specific data from a thousand or so users, I wouldn't suggest speaking in such absolute terms.

11. numus

numus Banned

There will always be a few bad batteries and phones and other devices that will pass QC... But there hasen't be a massive bad battery issue seen on teh moment yet.. Those some cases are actual far and few between.. the majority of the peopel claiming they have a bad battery either
    a) Don't understand the battery meter issue
    b) Don't close programs after they are done with them
    c) Run IM programs (meebo, Im+, AIM).. These programs do not let the program sleep (they can't by the sure nature of what they do)
    d) maybe actually have a bad battery but usually fall in somewhere from A to C

12. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

Getting back on topic (sorry guys) Where an I find a PAINFULLY simplistic/basic/layman/idiotproof instruction guide for installing that thing?

13. numus

numus Banned

I just attempted one in the other thread you asked for one...

14. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Interesting...will have to considering doing this. My phone is working great, but upgrades can't hurt...

15. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Just to make it visible here:

16. numus

numus Banned

NOTE THIS IS NOT AN "UPDATE" IT IS AN UNTESTED ALPHA RELEASE BASED UPON CL14 CODE THAT WAS RELEASED ON ACCIDENT!
    Zefie, SAMSUNGMOMENTFORUMS and ANYONE INVOLVED IN THE PROJECT OR PROVIDING SUPPORT IS NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU FUBAR YOUR PHONE!

17. Felecity

Felecity Member

How long should it take to complete? As in, just so we all have a bench mark idea from start to finish in ODIN. I'm currently doing this and it's in "setup connection..." for 5 minutes. Just curious so that we all know what's suppose to take place...

EDIT: Never mind. Answered my own question. Removed, rebooted, and tried again. Less than two minutes, FYI, for those curious.

18. agent0014

Hey Numus... mind if I take your instruction list and clean it up a bit, make it more readable? I'm a stickler for good formatting, and I think I could make it even easier to use/read with a few edits. I'm going to use it to update my kernel this weekend, so I'll probably edit and expand on it as I go along.

19. numus

numus Banned

ya go for it

20. cvam1985

cvam1985 Well-Known Member

Hey numus - just flashed the latest (06) - and my battery meter went from half (was on 04) to full after the flash. I know you had a hand in that, so just wanted to say thanks.

Any plans on working on those LEDs ? :D