• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Custom kernels

Anyone discovered a working custom kernel yet? Wanna overclock this thing and cant find a supported kernel thus far.

Whats everyones views on trying some of the s3 kernel varients??

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Do NOT flash a kernel that isn't for your device

Also, Samsung is great at releasing source, so over clocking should be pretty easy

Finally, why overclock? If the phone isn't laggy, all you're doing is increasing the heat, decreasing battery life, and possibly causing damage

Upvote 0
Looks like the s4 may have to be sold at this rate lol not much use in it being rooted if nothing works :(

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

lol I think you're being a little impatient. How long has the phone been available?

Anyway, gokhanmoral's siyah isn't the only kernel that can be used with stweaks (on the S3). Perseus kernel also allows the same tweaks (overclocking, audio, etc). So all is not lost. There are bound to be custom kernels developed for the S4.

Upvote 0
Yeah i worked that out eventually lol, perseus caused a boot hang and then i tried another custom, cant recall which one but i then got a joot, yet was left with problems of no wifi, no sd card read/write, apps attempting unpermitted actions warnings and lost loads of sd mounted apps. I then tried adams kernel, which solved a couple of the issues (wifi/sd card) but i still recieved regular error warnings for unpermitted actions.

I bit the bullet and reflashed the stock os, which as it happened, installed as an update, this solved all the issues and once that was done i decided to flash with the latest MGA 4.2.2 update.

Im considering moving over the the google edition 4.3 rom but im not sure i can be bithered to reinstall all my apps and settings.

Reactions: Shotgun84
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones