1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Custom kernels

1. blulite127

blulite127 Well-Known Member

Anyone discovered a working custom kernel yet? Wanna overclock this thing and cant find a supported kernel thus far.

Whats everyones views on trying some of the s3 kernel varients??

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Advertisement
    :
  2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Do NOT flash a kernel that isn't for your device

Also, Samsung is great at releasing source, so over clocking should be pretty easy

Finally, why overclock? If the phone isn't laggy, all you're doing is increasing the heat, decreasing battery life, and possibly causing damage
  3. blulite127

I just like to see how far the device can be pushed. Im mostly interested in using STweaks than just having a solid overclock runing.

Either way i need a custom kernel.

4. sntaylor

sntaylor Well-Known Member Contributor

I'm pretty sure stweaks won't work unless gokhanmoral decides to change his mind and actually purchase an s4, otherwise we need to hope someone else with his great ability helps us out.
  5. blulite127

Looks like the s4 may have to be sold at this rate lol not much use in it being rooted if nothing works :(

6. davoid

davoid Well-Known Member

lol I think you're being a little impatient. How long has the phone been available?

Anyway, gokhanmoral's siyah isn't the only kernel that can be used with stweaks (on the S3). Perseus kernel also allows the same tweaks (overclocking, audio, etc). So all is not lost. There are bound to be custom kernels developed for the S4.
  7. blulite127

I use dorimanx on my s2 to run stweaks. Any kernel will do as long as it gives.me.what i want lol

8. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

You won't see a custom kernel until Samsung releases source code for the S4 kernel. The best you can hope for until then is a modified stock kernel a la Chainfire or PhilZ, which obviously wont allow voltage/frequency table modifications.
  9. amigorox

amigorox New Member

Persues alpha there for the s4 and you can also use adams kernel
  10. blulite127

Tried perseus, it caused problems. Im now using adams but still some of the issues remain.
  11. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Well-Known Member

You're lucky Perseus only had a few problems. The kernel is for the i9500 so isn't compatable with your i9505. What issues are you still having? :)
  12. blulite127

Yeah i worked that out eventually lol, perseus caused a boot hang and then i tried another custom, cant recall which one but i then got a joot, yet was left with problems of no wifi, no sd card read/write, apps attempting unpermitted actions warnings and lost loads of sd mounted apps. I then tried adams kernel, which solved a couple of the issues (wifi/sd card) but i still recieved regular error warnings for unpermitted actions.

I bit the bullet and reflashed the stock os, which as it happened, installed as an update, this solved all the issues and once that was done i decided to flash with the latest MGA 4.2.2 update.

Im considering moving over the the google edition 4.3 rom but im not sure i can be bithered to reinstall all my apps and settings.
    Shotgun84 likes this.
  13. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Well-Known Member

Cool, glad you got it sorted:)
  14. blulite127

I would have really liked to have discovered how to resolve the unpermitted actiins issue withouy the need to reflash, but not to worry.