Custom Labels in People APP After 2.2 UpgradeSupport

Last Updated:

1. opelikamike

opelikamike Member This Topic's Starter

Unless I'm crazy I remember being able to create custom field labels for the phone and email info in the original people app (all contacts are Google type) on my Incredible. If I created them on my phone; they showed up in my Gmail contacts. If I created them in Gmail contacts; they showed up on phone.

Now all I see on the people app label options are the standard ones with no option to edit/create a cutom as there was before. Is this the case after 2.2? If so I'd rather have 2.1 back. I loved that feature! Anyone else see this on their DINC?

Mike in AL

Advertisement
  2. JohnBPrice

JohnBPrice New Member

3. windstrings

windstrings Well-Known Member

Looks like this is still an issue. I had no trouble with custom labels until the Froyo 2.2 update.
    Now on my HTC inc. I have no such options in my contacts.

Labels still exist from before the update, they are simply shown as "unknown" when viewing them from the phone.
    If I go to the google website they are all still there and can be manipulated.... just not from the phone like I could before.

Its ridiculous to not correct this needed feature.
    I have contacts with as many as 12 different phone numbers... different floors within the hospitals, different officiers, parts of the facility.....I shouldn't have to make a separate contact for each part.

Most families have several members with several mobile phones too.... are we just supposed to memorize who's number goes to who?

4. nadshez

nadshez New Member

I too loved froyo 2.2 but was very disappointed on how the custom label option was no longer there, as I use it extensively. Luckily, found an app that can resolve it.

Go to market & search for 'Contact Editor' & install this app. Once installed, when you edit any contact, it would ask you if you want to edit it using the default app or Contact Editor. Use Contact Editor and you will get the custom label option.

What I am looking for right now is some app or tweak that displays the custom label name on an incoming call. On 1.6 donut, it would dispaly the custom name, but since 2.1, 'C' appears before a number instead. Does anyone know a fix to it?

Thanks.

5. windstrings

windstrings Well-Known Member

Yes, Contact editor is a wonderful app.... it also gives you back the ability to add a web address too.

I prefer to keep defaults cleared so I can pick which one to use.

When first setting up the account.. I use "people" so I can choose a gmail only type account "rather than phone" and "people" also allows you to add your contact to a certain group whereas "contact editor" does not.

I use both to get everything I want..... add/delete/edit custom labels and add web addresses with contact editor.. use the other one "people" for all else.

Seems "sense" is the one to blame.. only the sense equipped phones have this issue.... hopefully the next version of sense will fix it.