Custom launchers don't work with MTP/Kies!?

Last Updated:

1. MrTony

MrTony Banned This Topic's Starter

Preface: I've run LauncherPro from day one. I started evaluating ADW Launcher today.

So I decided to try Kies again. I set it up and hard set my USB connection on the phone to Samsung Kies. I plugged in my phone and didn't even get the notification from Windows that a USB device was plugged in.

I unplugged the phone and plugged it back in, this time watching the phone. A very quick message popped up on the phone that said

"PC connection available only in idle screen.
    Close running applications."

I checked TasKiller and there wasn't anything running. I scratched my head for a minute and then on a hunch used Home Switcher to change my default and running home screen to TouchWiz. I plugged/unplugged my phone and it worked! It said "MTP application", gave the USB symbol and connected!

I then switched my home screen/Launcher to LauncherPro and tried it. It failed like ADW did with the same error! I'm not sure what gives there, but it's something you may want to investigate if you're having trouble using an MTP application like Samsung Kies.

Advertisement
    n7slc likes this.
  2. MrTony

MrTony Banned This Topic's Starter

Can someone else test and verify this for me?

3. paapaa

paapaa New Member

i can verify this 100%!!! i had the same problem and i killed every process no help until i did like you did :D i informed my country

4. sapv

sapv Well-Known Member

Good information. I have ADW Launcher installed. I was wondering if Kies will work. Now i know, just one question: If i switch my launcher to TWLauncher and then connect it to my PC then Kies will recognize it right? I can always switch back to ADW after i am done working with Kies. Thanks for sharing this information. Very useful

5. evodon84

evodon84 Active Member

Guys it will work, I had the same problem, you need to download an app from the Market called "Home Switcher" and switch to the stock launcher and then connect via USB in KIES mode to your computer and it will work.

Edit - didn't actually read what you guys posted, but yeah you just have to switch to the stock launcher and then connect. Not that big of a deal, for me anyways.

6. GeeFlukz

GeeFlukz New Member

Same Issue:

Si9000

LauncherPro > Swithed to TW Launcher (Home Switcher) > Attempt to connect to Kies > Device not Recognised.

Switched Off > Repeated above > Pressed Eject Button in Kies (While Loading Device) > Device Connected!

Thanks for the help in the posts above...

Hope this may help too, bout to upgrade to FW: JG3

Cheers