Custom Notification RingtonesSupport

Last Updated:

1. katamari

katamari Active Member This Topic's Starter

I recently set a custom notification ringtone to alert me when I receive a new text message. The ringtone sits in my SD card under the folder "Notifications". Sometimes, I will get a text and my phone will vibrate and pulse light, but the notification ringtone will not be heard. When this happens, I go to Menu>Settings>Sound & display>Notification ringtone and then reselect my ringtone. What will happen on most occasions is as soon as I tap the ringtone I want to set, it will not sample the sound file and the menu will freeze and force close. What happens after this usually involves some cursing and a reboot.

Why is my phone forgetting my notification ringtone selection? Why does it force close like that and how can I prevent this? If it makes any difference in your diagnosis, I am rooted.

Advertisement
  2. theartfullodger

theartfullodger Well-Known Member

3. nailedtonothing

nailedtonothing New Member

it's much easier than this, there is a program in market called ringo lite that allows you to custom set sms notification ringtones to each contact that you have. i've been using it for a while and it seems to work great. the only thing you have to do is set the ring to silent in your messenging app notification settings.

4. SBERG

SBERG Well-Known Member

Is there a way to just make a ringtone folder to view much like there is a music folder? Only way for me to access my ringtones is ....Settings - sound and display settings - Phone ringtone.
    Theres no other way to view them? I tried adding them to my music folder but all it does it mixes them together with everything in there. I cant keep it separate. Any known fixes i havent stumbled upon?

5. katamari

katamari Active Member This Topic's Starter

I know how to set a ringtone. My problem is that it sometimes doesn't play the ringtone and when I try to correct it, the menu freezes up.

I prefer having one text ringtone for all contacts. I just need to know why it keeps freezing/forgetting.

I think this happens after I mount my SD card when I connect to my computer, but I still don't know how to prevent this.

6. raytri3

raytri3 New Member

I had the same issue happen to me this morning on the Incredible - sorry I haven't figured out why yet. If you hear anything please post here so I can see it.

7. ragingyeti

ragingyeti Well-Known Member

If you are root, try moving the file over to where the other ringtones are held (on the phone, not the sd card). This should keep the phone from needing files on the sd card for system applications (such as messaging), and hopefully it will prevent your ringtones from going silent.