custom notification soundsSupport

Last Updated:

1. wellos

wellos Member This Topic's Starter

Hi I have only just bought my HTC desire and i am unable to change the notification sounds to anything but the default sounds in the phone. If you go to messages - menu - settings then notification sounds it only lists the ones in the handset. How does one apply a downloaded sound for eg

thanks

Advertisement
  2. DesireMe

DesireMe Well-Known Member

You need to create the folders on your SD card and put the notifications in there:

sdcard:/media/audio/alarms
    sdcard:/media/audio/notifications -- SMS
    sdcard:/media/audio/ringtones

3. wellos

thatss great i shall try that. Do i just connect to pc as a hard drive and create the folders as you suggested. also what format are the files to be in - is mp3 ok.

thanks

4. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

its fine

5. DesireMe

DesireMe Well-Known Member

You can either connect the phone to the PC. Or download a file explorer app and do it there. I use EStrong, an excellent & slick file explorer on the phone. It also connects to the LAN so you can transfer from PC to phone without plugging it in.

6. zezlez

zezlez Member

I use ringdroid which will let you see see all music on your phone which can then be selected for you to use as you wish.

Available free from the market.

7. wellos

wow im impressed - there is so much stuff available thanks guys will check it out

8. CaptainBeaky

CaptainBeaky Active Member

Thought I remembered something about this - my custom notifications have stopped working since upgrading to 2.2. They are still shown on the Settings page, and play the sample when I select them. However, when applications call for the notification sound to play, it plays the most recently used stock sound instead.

Baffled...

EDIT:

Switching off then on again appears to have sorted it out- not sure why.

9. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

It's always a good idea to do a factory reset after updating the firmware to clear the cache and wipe the phone of any old data. It's like doing a clean install of Windows, it runs better than an update that leaves junk behind. You lose your texts, settings, etc., but you get a nice clean setup that runs smooth. You can backup your texts and other stuff, but you then run the risk of restoring something that may cause a conflict, so a reset is the best option.

It's a bit of a hassle, but it doesn't take long to get the phone setup again like it was.
    :D

10. DC E1G

DC E1G Well-Known Member

The notifications folder already exists on my phone, what should I call the folder for message sounds? "-- SMS" ?

Because that isn't working, and neither is just SMS.

Edit: Neither is just leaving it in notifications like Lekky's website recommends.

Thanks

11. cerebralcow

cerebralcow Well-Known Member

I'm having this same problem on my new vortex. I got it from a friend and immediately did a factory reset. I've had it for almost a month now. I have set my notification sound for SMS and Gmails to different sounds (not the default sound) but it still plays the default sound for everything. It does this with my own custom sounds in the notifications folder and the sounds that came on the phone.

12. havaloc

havaloc New Member

Same here with an Ally. I tried different file locations on the SD Card, built in sounds, external sounds, they all play default, despite changing the settings correctly and confirming that they are playable within each application. It just started doing this. I even tried a different SD Card.

I see this is a recent trend that seems to be happening across the board on different devices.

13. cerebralcow

bump

14. cerebralcow

someone working at Verizon wireless told me I should try the Audiko app but that just changed the ringtone for all of my notifications. I have emailed verizon CS directly so if they give me a solution that works I will post it here.

15. Kibbster

Kibbster Well-Known Member

Often applications will have their own notifications that might conflict with the system settings.
    Check in the settings for your SMS, email etc and set the sounds from there.

16. cerebralcow

I've changed the settings every where I can find them

17. cerebralcow

to clarify... I don't remember finding any conflicting settings in the main settings app and my SMS and gmail app (I use the sms app that comes with the vortex and the official gmail app) and when I change the default sound all of the sounds get changed.