• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Custom notification sounds

thisISjoel

Android Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2014
Sydney
Dudes, having a weird issue trying to add custom notification sounds to use for my N5. Let me start by saying I can get it to work, just not the way I would like it to.

The issue I have is when I put the sound I want to use in the system/media/audio/notifications it doesn't show up when I go to settings and try to choose the notification sound.

I can put the file in the notifications folder in the sd card partition and it shows up but the problem I have with that is that it then also shows up in my music player which I don't want.

With ringtones I have been able to put them in the default ringtone folder and it works perfectly but for notifications it's just not playing ball.

Any ideas?

Dudes, having a weird issue trying to add custom notification sounds to use for my N5. Let me start by saying I can get it to work, just not the way I would like it to.

The issue I have is when I put the sound I want to use in the system/media/audio/notifications it doesn't show up when I go to settings and try to choose the notification sound.

I can put the file in the notifications folder in the sd card partition and it shows up but the problem I have with that is that it then also shows up in my music player which I don't want.

With ringtones I have been able to put them in the default ringtone folder and it works perfectly but for notifications it's just not playing ball.

Any ideas?
The file's permissions need to be rw-r--r-- (your root explorer should be able to edit that). If you have put custom files in system/media/auduo subfolders, you need to reboot for it take affect.

To make certain media files not be detected during media scan boots simply put those in a folder and create a "blank" file named ".nomedia" inside the folder. However, doing this will also make the files non detectable when choosing a ringtone...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
After placing my ringtones and notifications in my /system folder I reboot this way the system refreshes the list. As far as the files need to be in .ogg format that is incorrect I have always used mp3 format and have never had an issue.
Yes that's correct, I remember using mp3s once for system sounds. Sorry for the misinformation.

Upvote 0
The file's permissions need to be rw-r--r-- (your root explorer should be able to edit that). If you have put custom files in system/media/auduo subfolders, you need to reboot for it take affect.

To make certain media files not be detected during media scan boots simply put those in a folder and create a "blank" file named ".nomedia" inside the folder. However, doing this will also make the files non detectable when choosing a ringtone...

Thanks! Changed the permissions and rebooted and it worked!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones