• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Custom Notifications

Hi All,

Wonder if someone can help as I've been reading for days now without success.

What I am trying to achieve: (using Gmail account and SGSIII mobile)

1. Custom notification sound for a single, specific, email address - which is for server crashes etc
2. Normal notification sound for everything else.

Whats happening is that I get both the normal and custom sounds overlapping, when a single email is received.

I have setup the labels correctly - I think - turned OFF the SGSIII 'notifications' altogether and just set the Gmail App notifications.

I can turn off the inbox notifications (in the app) - but then I only get notifications for the 'special' email....if I leave them turned ON, then it plays both the inbox notifications and the special email notifications - if that makes sense.

So, does anyone know if what I am trying to do is A)actually possible and B) if it is, how to do it?

It is probably my stupidity, but having tried every setting combination I can think of, I'm beginning to lose the will to live.... :-(

Any help would be much appreciated.

Have a look at the Light Flow app mate. Im not sure if it does what youre asking but it looks like it can set different notifications for different types of incoming mail
uploadfromtaptalk1368110242477.jpguploadfromtaptalk1368110254086.jpg

Upvote 0
Have a look at the Light Flow app mate. Im not sure if it does what youre asking but it looks like it can set different notifications for different types of incoming mail
View attachment 54367View attachment 54368

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, unfortunately I tried your suggestion of using Lightflow - but can't seem to get this to work either.

I have a stock SGSIII, with very few apps installed and am running through every option I can find, but it seems that if I want one notification sound for an 'alert' type email, and one other sound for everything else - this is simply not possible.

If I enable 'inbox' notifications, this sound plays whatever email arrives - and 'overrules the sound set up for the 'alert' email address. If i disable 'inbox' notification sounds, I get the alert notification but nothing else.

The Lightflow app looks good and appears to offer exactly what I need, but I can not get it to work.

I reckon it must be user error :) but whatever combination of settings I pick, I simply cant get it to perform this simple task.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones