• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Custom Recovery MS690 Optimus M

Status
Not open for further replies.
download terminal from the market and do the following commands:
# Su
# reboot recovery

su worked, not Su

but now I've totally messed up my phone. what did I do wrong?

I used this method and I just got a factory reset. No special menu came up or anything.

now the phone is half-borked. It won't finish downloading any apps like Root Manager to access my sd card -- where all the recover files are located. it doesn't even show that I have terminal anymore.

the market stuff is malfuntioning because of the earlier Android browser replacement attempt (a week or so ago) which is why I wanted to flash another rom.

===
and su worked, not Su

Upvote 0
those commands wont do anything more than reboot your phone

I found that out the hard way. :( I thought that was a method to access the custom recovery rom on the sd card. I'm very new at this, although I have built computers and installed tons of software -- I am new with linux and smartphones.

I tried using adb -- I couldn't even get it started. I downloaded the SDK files, then it made me download and install java development kit files. I did all that and still couldn't find adb. :mad: I know it's me, but there's just so much to learn about all this stuff.

So, then I thought those commands I saw posted were a way to access that via the phone. Forget stupid adb! :p So, I downloaded terminal program for the phone from market -- and all the commands did was do a factory re-set, which did not help at all.

The factory re-set took away my browser ability completely, since a few days ago in an experiment gone awry the stock Metro browser had been replaced by gereric Android 2.2 browser. With factory re-set it disappeared completely along with all the other browsers (Opera, Dolphin, Skyfire) I had installed. (Factory re-set does not replace stock files that have been deleted.) I knew enough not to delete the stock browser as others had mistakenly done -- but I was told that REPLACING MetroWeb browser with stock 2.2 Android browser was possible. But it's not, which is why my phone was acting wonky in the first place.

After the factory re-set, I didn't even have a browser button on the launcher. Market would not let me re-download all my apps, just kept endlessly "downloading" without doing anything.

=========

Anyway, I re-installed factory 2.2 through a controversial method (thanks AndYo70) and I'm back in business. That Metro "Hello, Hello, Hello!" never sounded so good! (at that time, of course I got rid of it again. :p)

I had apps + data on sd card through Titanium backup, but until I got stock 2.2 re-installed and rooted I couldn't use the backup. Now, I'm re-rooted and have all apps + data restored. I also have full browser functionality.

The only problem I have now is my widgets are not loading while in Launcher Pro mode, yet they work in LG Home mode.:thinking: Probably something to do with the backup restore process? I'll mess with them some more tomorrow.

Right now I am glad I have a functional phone back! :D

=======

Yes, I would eventually like custom ROM but right now I'm going to breathe a sigh of relief for a day or so before doing anything else. :cool:

Upvote 0
Just thought I'd share.

Edit: After posting this, I discovered Linpack and get 9.6 Mflops.

20110125210256.jpg

Upvote 0
Sorry for the silly question but I'm a little confused as the:

To flash: via adb shell or terminal type this from root # su shell (Do not type the # its for reference)

What terminal are they talking about? I found one in the marketplace.....could it be that they r refering to? The custom ROMS, I've put on other devices (my PSP) are done by rebooting it and then work from there....Do I need to reboot my phone to access the flash menu?

Upvote 0
First, thanks! This worked perfectly for me. Though my own fault, I lost all my apps and Titanium.. Oh well. I began my search for updating the radio. I've heard that can help get better signal. You give warning not to update radio.img at the same time, but I don't see a radio.img. Can you or anyone give me a nudge in the right direction for updating my radio? I never had any problem with signal on my Verizon phones, but who can afford them anymore...

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
Please do not host these links or how to's else-where and instead direct users to this post as its easier for me to keep up with things in just one place.

Lets start the custom roms!!

393512721.jpg

To use download & unzip & copy flash_image and recovery-thunderc-m-v1.2.0-GNM.img to the root of your sdcard.

To flash: via adb shell or terminal type this from root # su shell (Do not type the # its for reference)

Code:
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image

# chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image

# mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak

# mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

# flash_image [B][COLOR=black]recovery[/COLOR][/B] /sdcard/recovery-thunderc-m-v1.2.0-GNM.img
Trouble shooting
1. If you get an out of memory error reboot device and do it on a fresh reboot.
2. If you get a file not found on the "mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak" skip it and move to the next step as this file will not be in your rom unless it has recieved an ota-update and if so needs to be disabled.

Key combo to boot custom recovery from powered off is Vol down+ Home +Power and release at LG Logo or use adb reboot recovery from adb shell.

Recovery Features:

ADB as root user

USB-MS Toggle :mounts sdcard as mass storage

Backup/Restore:
Nand Backup : runs a nandroid backup of data, cache, boot, system
Nand Backup + .android secure : backs up above plus .android_secure on sdcard (froyo native apps on sd)
Nand + ext backup : data, cache, system, boot, plus apps2sd on ext partition (old style apps2sd)
Nand Restore : browse to and select nandroid backup to restore

Flash Zip From Sdcard: Update.zip must be in root of sdcard or you can directory browse.
Toggle Signature Verify : Turn of signature checking on flashing zips

Wipe Menu:
Wipe data/factory reset: wipes data & cache
Wipe cache
Wipe Dalvik cache : Wipes Dalvik cache in all possible locations if moved by apps2sd
Wipe SD:ext : Wipes Apps2sd ext partition
Wipe Battery Stats
Wipe rotate settings
Wipe .android secure : Wipes froyo native .android_secure on sdcard

Partition Sdcard:
Partition SD: Partition's sdcard for apps2sd (this formats card so all non backed-up data is lost)
Repair Sd:ext
SD:ext2 to ext3 : coverts apps2sd ext2 partition to ext3 (requires kernel support for ext3)
SD:ext3 to ext4 : same as above but ext3 to ext4 (requires kernel support for ext4)

Mounts:
Gui mounts to avoid typing in terminal to mount and cd into a dir to mount system, data, cache, sd-ext (if exists), sdcard

Other:
Fix apk uid mismatches
Move recovery log to SD
Key Test : Output keycodes for debugging recovery

Note this recovery and the one for Optimus One P500 have a service that instantly reboots out of recovery once you load it & I disabled it and thats why you get a E: "Bad Boot Message" on inital startup. Its completely fine.

Recovery Key mapping:
Up & down : vol-up and vol-down
Select : Menu
Backup : Back

Thanks to :
Amon_Ra for his awesome source and a few pointers. His original Source Link Buy him a redbull
Koush for a few items we kanged like directory browsing from clockwork mod.
Worstenbrood's desire recovery Link
Andyo70 for testing

Donators Thank You List:
Andyo70 $15

Donation link to Buy me an Energy Drink is below:

Changelog:

1.2.0: Added ext4 support via custom kernel and packaged for release.

recovery-thunderc-m-v1.2.0-GNM.img.zip
md5= 4611fe8f62315c9661261707cc20d8b8

DO NOT FLASH RADIO.IMG WITH RECOVERY!!!!!
As I try to use TERMINAL EMULATOR and enter the code after applying su shell to the app I keep getting msgs that it cannot do that due to read only state. What am I doing wrong? Need diff app? cannot seem to get sdk to work on my windows 7 ult 64 due to some java issue which I have been trying to fix. Can anyone help me understand what I am not doing???? I feel like im stupid but I am new to android and Linux I hate to say it but it is true. I have been using some form of windows crap for years. And building my own computers and using computers since punch cards, 10" floppies, and bulk discs. So I

Upvote 0
I can terminal to my Android with adb - even see the serial number listed, but am unable to run the code that is listed. I am assuming that you must have root priviliges before you can even run this code since it will not allow me to su. I am a bit lost here and bummed since I upgraded to 2.2.1 and lost my root capability. Any thoughts?

C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb shell
$ su
su
su: permission denied
$

Upvote 0
I can terminal to my Android with adb - even see the serial number listed, but am unable to run the code that is listed. I am assuming that you must have root priviliges before you can even run this code since it will not allow me to su. I am a bit lost here and bummed since I upgraded to 2.2.1 and lost my root capability. Any thoughts?

C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb shell
$ su
su
su: permission denied
$

If your phone came with 2.2.1 from stock you will be able to down grade it using this method http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-m/273406-new-lgnpst-lab-1-2-thread-now-hd-video.html
If your phone came with 2.2.1 you will not be able to root for the moment because there`s a current issue while connecting to the network on the rooted 2.2.1.

Hope this help
ps (I just tried it in my phone with 2.2.1 root but the recovery is not working, because of the new kernel. If this was fix it will be awesome for 2.2.1 users)

Upvote 0

Code:
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image

# chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image

# mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak

# mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

# flash_image [B][COLOR=black]recovery[/COLOR][/B] /sdcard/recovery-thunderc-m-v1.2.0-GNM.img

[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

im getting the "operation not permitted when trying to enter "mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system"...what am i doing wrong or what is the deal??

Upvote 0
how did you get it? I still get same msg....

are you rooted?? also did you download BOTH files recovery-thunderc-m-v1.2.0-GNM.img.zip and http://androidforums.com/attachment...stom-recovery-ms690-optimus-m-flash_image.zip if you did, copy BOTH files to the root of your SD card..after that,open up your cmd and type:

adb shell
then after that,type:
su
once you hit that,a # should display instead of $.once you get the #,type in the listed commands.if you already pused the downloaded files to your phone and you succeed in this last step,once its done doing its thing,power it off and reboot.then you should have service.hopefully this helps you out...ALSO YOU MUST ALREADY BE ROOTED AND HAVE SUPERUSER PERMISSIONS!AND WHEN YOU TYPE SU IN THE CMD BOX,YOUR PHONE SHOULD ASK FOR PERMISSION.ALLOW IT PERMISSION.THAT IS HOW YOU GET # INSTEAD OF $:cool:

Reactions: bucketbass
Upvote 0
I am very close to rooting my phone thanks to andy/joneidy and everyone here helping my nooby self.

I am getting this error code when I am trying to update the SU in the superuser thing:

an error occurred and su was not updated. A zip file (su-2.3.1-bin-signed.zip) has been placed on your sdcard, please reboot into recovery mode and flash it to update your su binary

I did Andy's guide to flash back to 2.2 from 2.2.1 and I did that successfully.

I finally got the ADB to work and here are the images:
I also got that access denied in the command prompt.

What should I do exactly , I am sorry -.- I can paypal you a few dollars I feel bad.

cmdadb.jpg

cmdadb2.jpg

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones