custom ring tone for emailSupport

Last Updated:

1. JLBWorld

JLBWorld New Member This Topic's Starter

So I finally bought a droid and the first different thing I try to do I am being told I cannot do.

I wanted to use a custom ringtone for my gmail notification instead of all the ridiculous ones they offer.

I am shocked that this cannot be done - anyone know for sure if this is true.

Advertisement
  2. lg92928

lg92928 Active Member

I used ringdroid to get my custom tone for my Gmail account

3. istolvampire

istolvampire Well-Known Member

I make my own short ringtones for alerts (mp3 format) and then on my pc with the Droid connected I made a folder in the Media folder called notifications and another for ringtones. You want yours in the notification folder you make. Then they show up on the alert ringtone list. Like this............

FOLDERS ON SD CARD

Media folder(inside this is)-audio folder(inside this make)-notifications folder (you make)

Regular ringtones in the ringtone folder in the audio folder next to the notification folder

Hope that helps. If you need more help just let me know.

4. eclipsed4utoo

eclipsed4utoo Well-Known Member

I just set a ringtone for my Yahoo mail and a different ringtone from my Corporate mail. So yes, it can be done. Just go to the mailbox that you want to change the ringtone for, hit the menu button, "Account Settings", "Select Ringtone".

To get the ringtones on your phone, just create a "Ringtone" folder on the root of the sd card. You should also make a "Notifications" folder so you can have custom notifications also......yes, they are different.

5. JLBWorld

JLBWorld New Member This Topic's Starter

Ringdroid was what I needed - that worked great.

Thanks a bunch!!

6. johirsh

johirsh Well-Known Member

as in most things with the VZW Droid... this doesn't work for me

Ringdroid will only create ringtones for me and assign to contacts not mail accounts

when I try to do it from mail the ringtone I created doesn't appear...

so far another droid doesn't

7. eclipsed4utoo

eclipsed4utoo Well-Known Member

How about not saving it as a ringtone? When you click the Save button(the floppy disk icon), you are shown the "Save As" dialog. The very top open says, "Type:". Hit the drop down, and select Notification. Then save it. Now it will show up as a notification.

Just so you know, notifications, alerts, and ringtones are considered different. Ringtones are for your ringer. The rest of the sounds are notifications and alerts, though some applications will load all sounds(ringtones, notifications, and alerts) to use as notification sounds with their application.

Obviously, DROID DOES....for those that know how to use it.