• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Custom Ringtones Disappearing From Phone

RyanFleming

Lurker
Jul 31, 2013
First off I have a droid bionic running Cyanogenmod 10.1.x, which is the ICS version of Android. Since switching to this phone and installing from scratch three ROM versions of Cyanogenmod 10.1.1, 10.1.2, and 10.1.3, I have had a problem with my custom ringtones disappearing when the SDCard is mounted as USB or on a phone reboot. Originally I had them on the external SD card in Media/Audio/Ringtones and Notifications. Then I moved them on the the Internal SD card, then I moved them into a folder on the root SDCard-Ringtones and Notifications, both on the internal and external SD Card. I even tried to copy the ringtones to the System-Media-Audio-Ringtones and Notifications but every time I reboot the phone the files disappear so apparently there is a step or two I don't understand in order to copy files onto the phone itself.
I have searched around in vain as I have not seen any solution to this problem, but have seen many users from many different phone carries and manufacturers having this problem. Again my problem specifically is that custom ringtones get replaced with unknown or in some cases a random number. When I get a phone call, text, or other notification they just remain silent as the ringtone 71999 or some other random number does not exist. Anybody know what causes this and how to fix/prevent it from happening in the future? The problem is pretty annoying.

Thanks

Ryan

I'm on stock, but I always had issues with that as well.
Also had issues with the phone "forgetting" what ringtone I had set.
My solution was to actually move my custom ringtones onto the phone system.

ie. using root explorer, go to \system\media\ringtones mount as R/W and copy your ringtone there. Check the permissions after you copy the file(s).
Reboot your phone and your custom ringtones will now show up with the other system installed ringtones.

Since doing that, I have no issues at all.

EDIT:
I have been doing this since back in the days of my OG DrOID...

Upvote 0
The lack of webtop support for my lapdock... has me moving off of CM10.2 onto FlyingJelly 1.1... so I won't be watching any further for this issue unless I choose to reload my backup later. I did run it for just over a week without incident with the ringtone located on the internal sdcard for what it's worth.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones