• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Custom Rom/Firmware Upgrade for UK LG GW620?

pukeboy

Lurker
Jan 18, 2011
Hi,

My daughter has a UK LG GW620 on T-Mobile, and it is still running Android 1.5.

I can find quite a lot of info re updating the firmware, and my understanding is that there is a firmware available and this can be installed using fastboot.

The problem I have is that I can't get the phone to boot into fastboot. I have tried with and without the battery, pressing the space bar, space + menu, and space + enter. With the battery out, I just get an animation showing the battery cover being replaced. With the battery in the phone just boots normally.

Am I missing something here. Should the phone be rooted first, and is there anything else I need to do before booting into fastboot etc? None of the guides I have read say that the phone needs to be rooted, though that is what I would have expected.

I'd really like to get this sorted as the phone is fairly crippled.

Hi Pukeboy, how did you get on with the above? i'd love to know if you managed to update the firmware without having to root the phone, as rooting it looks ridiculously hard for a noob.

Well, as seen as you're the only person to reply to my question, not far.

To be honest, unless I can find an easy solution I probably won't pursue it. I'll let you know if I make any progress though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones