• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Custom Rom for Pendo Pad

well...i bit the bullet and downloaded the cyanogen boot and system files ( CyanogenMod for Rockchip | androtab.info bottom of this page!) i replaced them, packed them and flashed with RKCooking.. and to my amazement it worked!!!!
ANDROID 2.3.7, running Cyanogenmod 7.2-RC0-RK2818-KANG !!!
theres no market built in...camera does work, but you cant see what your taking a picture of.. 3G does NOT work at all...so you wont be able to use the dodo dongle..lockscreens are brokens etc..

theres LOTS of features, tweaks, rooted etc..but like it says on the cyanogenmod website..alot of stuff doesnt work (no volume buttons for one! and FCs just sitting there...fun to play around with i guess..

Upvote 0
yes ive installed gapps manually into the ROM and market works..but (network) location doesnt seem to work

audio works...to some extent, mp3 cause the DSP crap to FC and the mp3s studder and skip :/

youtube app FCs..yet you can surf and load vids fine from a browser (not flash loads the vids on a inbuilt video player

i couldnt get apps to install to the SDcard no matter what (formatted and partitioned sdcard yet they still wont move)

there is ALOT of stuff that doesnt work (like clockworkmod, due to no compatable Kernel), you cant just follow the typical instructions, workarounds are needed (eg gapps is supposed to be installed through clockworkmod but as that doesnt work you need to manually add the gapp files to the rom in RKCooking and reflash)

like i said...its fun to play with...and the interface looks dam awesome...but all the broken features outweigh the benifits

i might try to find a Froyo based rk2818 rom and flash it to see how it goes

Upvote 0
ok well i downloaded a few ROMs for various rk2818 roms..and all seem to work with varying results..
i DID NOT just flash the ROMs as they are, i only replaced boot.img and system.img..
keeping the Kernel.img, misc.img, and recovery.img from my original dump...(i did try a few kernels from the ROMs but all of them locked up pritty much soon as they are powered on..

i may post a few of the better ROMs i have converted over (some required new TSCalibration.apk, gapps, and a few other apks i always use)..but again you will probably want to edit them to keep your own kernel (i know my kernel will work ok on most of the 2nd gen pads, but wont work on the 3rd gen 4gb pad)

i have a few images of internals of both 2nd gen and 3rd gen pendos for comparison aswell, they aint the best quality pics, but they show the vast differences..ill post them as soon as i can

from looking at the internals, it looks like its quite possable to hardware mod these aswell, there are ports on the board for bluetooth and vibrator, and maybe even GPS (3rd gen has it but i couldnt find it on the 2nd gen), both should fit in the case pritty easy (jaycar sells phone vibrators of differnt sizes, they prolly sell small laptop type bluetooth too)

Upvote 0
EDIT: Delete pics that aint showing up...

tryed flashing the 4GB pendo lastnight...
what a nightmare...it seems this pendo is using nonstandard hardware...EVERY rom i tryed either got stuck on the bootscreen (archos7 2.1 & 2.2, onetab 2.2.3) or WIFI would not work (cyanogen)
the pics i tryed to post showed that the 4GB pad has a raised card off the main board, that looks almost identical to a wifi chip you would find in a laptop (hence why wifi doesnt work)
ive tryed copying the "wireless" folder and driver on the pendo to cyanogen, but its still not working, there must be a reference to it somewhere but i havent been able to find it yet

this also has ver 20.20 of the bootloader (all other versions have 5.00,5.01) and a kernel that wont run on the 2GB pad..and it wont allow any other kernels to run (the 2gb pendo took a couple different kernels, but not all)..taking a look at the bootloader in a hex editor shows that this version is for "new ram type"

as for the 2GB pad...it would run just about anything i threw at it..managed to get 2.2 and 2.2.3 both running (with wifi!) but still couldnt get apps2sd with any roms...cyanogen is useless coz it wont play music without crashing.

so im over stuffing around with roms from other tablets...i have already flashed the 4gb back to its original rom...i will probably try a few performance tweaks (in build.prop) and edit the framework-res.apk for a different looking "skin"..apart from that..theres not much else that can be done WHILE maintaining a fully functional pad (eg everything working as intended, wifi and wireless dongle...)..the 2Gb pad might stay with cyanogen if i can get the audio issues sorted (possably just need to remove the DSP manager apk and lib files)

also...i see alot asking about this....you cannot remove any of the 'phone' apks without loosing wireless dongle funtionality! the dongle is a modem and needs the phone stuff to be able to dial out to get a connection (i may remove them from my 2gb pad as it never uses the dongle)

btw...can anyone read chinese?! i need a few pdfs translated that show exactly how to get stuff like the usb and wifi drivers out and into custom rom

Upvote 0
just tryed updating gapps to the latest version (for 2.1) on the 4gb pad..crashing in gapps, vendor and probably others....so it looks like its default gapps on this pad :/

ill definatly be installing froyo on the 2GB pad just so i can get access to the proper "Play" and not the "market"...the version that comes with the pendos wont show alot of apps now google has tightened the system...(wont even show apps ive previously purchaced)..ill then be able to transfer the apks to the 4gb pad

so as i said before...these pads are pure shit...theres no source code for this chipset so new roms/os's are very limited...they aint worth the time fiddling with other roms....ive wasted a good 4 days straight and one 'all nighter', ive learnt alot about the system and found how to tweak it, but im basically back to where i was before i started flashing other roms as all the others have some sort of issue..

when i can be bothered...ill will put a copy of Froyo from Archos7 on the 2gb pad and get it setup for the pendo (eg pendo branding and correct naming) and post the boot.img and system.img here for those who want the new market...but the USB wireless dongle WONT work..(i will not post an update.img that also includes the bootloader, kernel.img, recovery.img and misc.img as these seem to be very device dependant)

Upvote 0
Has anyone you get any further in Pendo Pad ROM customisations? Somebody just gave their unwanted TPC7SLV (compatible with Firmware 2 on Pendo Pad site). I 'updated' the firmware from the Pendo site and despite it claiming to be the same version on its initial screen, (unhelpfully version 1.0.0.0). it dropped back a couple of months of builds! I didn't think it my go backwards so I didn't backup.

Of course, 'support' is no help, so I've come here, I would like to just make it minimally usable which in my case includes having all the apps supporting auto orientation and support for my Sierra Wireless modem. Any tips on how to come up to speed on Android? I know a bit about Linux, but embedded Linux and Android are a complete mystery.

Thanks,

RR

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones