custom rom to clean up the phone?

Last Updated:

1. reynolds

reynolds New Member This Topic's Starter

I picked up a Captivate some time ago. I was really careful not to enable any of the Google backup/storage services even tho they were on the phone.

Today I get a popup window on my phone telling me to type my password to log onto some google service. I could not get rid of the window, so I pressed the enter button while leaving the password field blank.

A short time later on the web I read an article how Google and Facebook were a threat to our privacy. I started poking around the phone and found that the google account had been activated and was "synced" to my phone. Holy ^%$#$#!

I immediately hosed the google connection by resetting the phone to original specs. A little late unfortunately. Now, I'm hunting for new firmware that will remove all references to Google. Everything. It would be nice to update to frodo too......

Any good firmware out there fit the bill?

Advertisement
  2. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

your phone must be synced to google, everything on the phone runs off of google. now if you dont want to access the market, use any of the google apps or half of the functions on the phone.

there are no roms out there that will remove all of these services as it kills the purpose of the phone.

3. viny2cool

viny2cool Well-Known Member

Google just use your information to analyze thier softwares...as thier business model works on ads....they use the user data to build softwares so to get more ads...they dont sell or leak ur data....

even for Iphone u need to give your itunes info, in apple u also have to give out ur credit card info...

Dont be so scared buddy...google is everywhere...if u r so scared dont keep anything conficdential in ur phone

there r no rom which doesnt use google...

4. Copronymous

Copronymous Well-Known Member

Yeah, if privacy were THAT big of a concern to me I wouldn't even have a phone at all...especially one with GPS :)

5. reynolds

reynolds New Member This Topic's Starter

Actualy, I would like to remove google from the phone. I have a dedicated GPS that functions as a receiver only. With the ability to load non-native apps, why would I want to connect to google unless I was on the web and needed an search engine?

These big companies, just like government, think about ordinary folk ...... like you might think about dog crap on your shoe. I'd rather not be part of that paradigm.

6. calsax

calsax Active Member

I'm smiling. You do realize that Android was developed by Google, and has many Google features integrated into it, don't you? Android without Google is like, like, like....

Oh, yeah, Symbian!

7. viny2cool

viny2cool Well-Known Member

u r smiling..I LOLed....I agree..android without google...why buy smart phone..go for dumb phone,...no issue privacy,,,

also there is no information in the world which is private....government agencies, intellegence angencies, all big companies...every have tabs on u...so forget about the dog crap on ur shoe and move on