• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

999Vulcan

Dec 1, 2010
Ok, so, why bother? :)

I've already removed the bloatware I didn't need and got most of the apps that are "integrated" into custom roms (like wireless tether, new gmail etc.) installed.

I use Launcher Pro, so most of the Sense customization, if any, I won't see.

What will I gain?
Please convince me either way.

I understand that, in general terms.

However, I run Launcher Pro, so any Sense improvements/graphics/themes are of no interest to me.

Are any of you using Launcher Pro and still finding any custom ROMs to be beneficial to you?

If so, which particular ROM, and in what regard?

Can you list top 3 (5, 10, whatever your time permits :) improvements you are personally considering useful?

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
Again, folks, thanks for chiming in, but the UI improvements only matter as long as you aren't using a 3rd party launcher.

I use Launcher Pro, so any of the Sense tweaks won't matter for me, for I will never see them :)

Is anyone who's using Launcher Pro and custom ROMs willing to educate a Droid noob on the benefits of such setup? :)

Upvote 0
Again, folks, thanks for chiming in, but the UI improvements only matter as long as you aren't using a 3rd party launcher.

I use Launcher Pro, so any of the Sense tweaks won't matter for me, for I will never see them :)

Is anyone who's using Launcher Pro and custom ROMs willing to educate a Droid noob on the benefits of such setup? :)

Try a non-Sense Rom.

Upvote 0
Advantages

- Performance boost through custom ROMs and overclocking. Some ROMs go further than removing bloatware. They offer streamlined code and tweaks you can't apply yourself on your unrooted phone.

- Better battery life through custom ROMs, underclocking, and root access apps. There are a good number of ROMs and kernels that provide markedly longer battery life. There are apps specifically designed to help you manage your battery usage in ways you can't do presently.

- Complete system backup and restore. If you're not rooted and get an OTA update you don't like, you're stuck. If you somehow downloaded an non-market app that ripped your phone a new one, you're stuck. Backing up your ROM means you can always restore your phone to working condition without going all the way back to factory.

- Get OS updates sooner. Many rooted users will be loading Gingerbread ROMs in a manner of weeks or even days. Heck, some HTC Incredible users are using Gingerbread already. Unrooted users will have to wait for Verizon and HTC to push out an OTA.

- Get OS updates unrooted users will never get. Eventually, when Verizon and HTC decide they want you to consider replacing your phone, official support will disappear. That might happen sooner than we think (3.0 isn't guaranteed). Meanwhile, the dev community still supports the G1.

- Easier screen shots. A minor point, but getting screen shots from an unrooted Incredible is harder than rooting it.

- Greater app selection. There are a lot of dev apps out there that help streamline your experience but can only be used on rooted phones. There are even apps in the official market that require root access.

If you decide to root, but want to keep that LauncherPro with Sense feel, I'd suggest trying Virtuous. You'll start off with something close to what you're using now (Sense minus the bloat), but you'll be able to remove unwanted Sense feature and do all the stuff listed above. It's a good starter ROM.

Reactions: 999Vulcan
Upvote 0
I've been running Cyanogen for a week or so and my battery life is significantly better. I listen to music all day at work with moderate use and still make it home with 50%+ battery life. I've read about a variety of ROM/kernel combinations that improve battery life over an OOTB Incredible also. Before I rooted and flashed a ROM, I had to charge a few hours before leaving work.

Upvote 0
AGWednesday, thanks for the detailed reply, but most it deals with benefits of rooting the phone, which I have already done, so I got underclocking, nandroid backups, screen shots, etc :) I also cleaned out bloatware manually, which is easy having the root access.

What I am trying to understand is what additional benefits come with custom ROMs beyond that.

Being able to get updated ROMs after support stops is a valid argument, but I have 2.2 now, and this is what custom ROMs are.

Upvote 0
If I were to try one, I am thinking Senseless rEVOlution, since I user Launcher Pro and don't need Sense at all.

Any thoughts?

Yep, that's what I was talking about with a non-Sense Rom. Pretty much any AOSP Rom will give you a different look than you're used to. Also, the Evo-Sense hybrids like rEVOlution have some additions that are nice but don't stray real far from Sense-like stock. I've gotten used to the 6 bar signal indicator and would hate to be without it now. Small stuff but details matter.

I know what you're saying with the Launcher Pro thing and you are right. I've always used it and it does provide the same look in many cases but when you get into some of the sense free stuff, they are quite different. Best advice is just to try one or check out screen shots on various Roms in the ROM section here or over at XDA.

Upvote 0
I personally cant stand sense and I am a LPP lover. Lou's "senseless revolution" ROM is perfect for me. 99% of sense is stripped away which improves battery life as all that junk is not running in the background. Lou also has his own kernals. I run kernal #4 and the battery life is amazing! The ROM is super smooth and stable. Absolutely zero problems. Plus Lou is one of the best developers out there and is dedicated to his followers. He is constantly updating his work trying to make is better.

Upvote 0
AGWednesday, thanks for the detailed reply, but most it deals with benefits of rooting the phone, which I have already done, so I got underclocking, nandroid backups, screen shots, etc :) I also cleaned out bloatware manually, which is easy having the root access.

What I am trying to understand is what additional benefits come with custom ROMs beyond that.

Being able to get updated ROMs after support stops is a valid argument, but I have 2.2 now, and this is what custom ROMs are.
Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you wanted to know why you should root, but looking back, I see that's not what you said at all.

In that case, I'll agree with those who've said you might wanna try a Senseless ROM. I know you say that you're using LP, but if you start using an AOSP ROM, I think you'll begin to see how much of Sense was popping through, even when you used LP. Even with a custom launcher, AOSP builds are still a different experience.

RR is very good. ShadowRom is my favorite AOSP ROM. Cyanogen is highly customizable. And of course there's Ruby, which, I believe, supports all CCRom themes. You can't go wrong with any of those choices.

Oh, and get yourself a good kernel. I don't know what you're looking for exactly (maybe I missed that too), so I can't really suggest any. Too many people underestimate them, but getting the right custom kernel can make a huge difference too.

Upvote 0
Oh, look what you've done!

I went to town and got latest radio, Senseless revolution and Lou's #6 Kernel :D

Main difference I've noticed so far are ugly window transitions :) (Well, that and transparent notification and 6 bar signal indicator)

Is there a way to get standard windows transitions back on Revolution?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones