Custom roms. Why and which to choose

Last Updated:

1. Germwise

Germwise Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I've played a little with the droid x at the store. While I think there are some annoying things about motorola blur, I kinda Like the camera and gallery.

I see several custom roms but I've also seen a lot of skins for each rom. If rooted can you not theme the original os?

What exactly do you gain with rooms and which ones would you recommend?

Ive seen that rubix and apex seem to be popular in the forum but I have no idea how they are different. Also is there somewheere where I can See pictures of each theme and what rom they are compatible with?

Right now I feel like I would need to spend a whole day making a decision matrix with rooms themes etc

Thanks for any help even if its just pointing me to other threads!

Advertisement
  2. incrediblenotinstock

incrediblenotinstock Well-Known Member

to me they are all the same I have tried them all out. but I am running fission and it has the blur camera and camcorder but not gallery: (

3. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

There are really 2 kinds of ROMs at the moment. There are ROMs that try to eliminate blur altogether and create a Vanilla Android experience. ApeX, Fission and RubiX Focused to name a few, fall in this category.

The other kind of ROM takes Blur and gives it a little overhaul leaving all the creamy blurness but increasing response by optimizing the system and removing bloatware. Rubix Blurry and FlyX are a few.

You can theme the stock OS but you'll have to Deodex first. Most people I think just prefer to find and flash a ROM they like over deodexing yourself. I am one of those people ;)

GMB

G.Armour likes this.
  4. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

Me and you both.

5. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

I am two of those people. Wait. What? ;)

6. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Well-Known Member

If you want a nice quick rom, but with just a little blur, I would recommend ApeX. It has the stock gallery and camera/camcorder, in particular.

Yes, you can get the blur camera on rubiX/Fission, but not the gallery, IIRC. IMO, ApeX has just the right balance.

Two great themes available, too. I prefer NexTheme, but REVOlution is pretty great as well.

7. eraursls1984

eraursls1984 Well-Known Member

The BigDX themes (8 different colors to choose from) also works on ApeX. If you choose BigDX on ApeX make sure to remove all the blur stuff you don't want or you'll defeat the purpose of removing some of the blur