Custom ROMs?

Last Updated:

1. c2k

c2k Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So Im new to the whole rooting thing, I came from a backflip. Its amazing to see that in a matter of weeks the captivate already has 10000x more support.

My question is: what does a custom ROM do for me? As in, does it improve the speed of the phone? Does it add more features/capabilities?

And where do I find ROMs for the captivate?

I apologize if this has been addressed somewhere else, I've done quite a bit of searching and havent found much information in one spot.

Advertisement
  2. rrrrramos

rrrrramos Well-Known Member

Custom ROM's have the ability to speed up the phone, add features, remove restrictions pretty much let us use our phones to their fullest ability. Once there is a Froyo ROM released, we'll be able to use the full 512mb of RAM as well, which should GREATLY speed up the phone.
    To answer the second question, right now you won't find any ROM's for the Captivate. The source code was just released yesterday, and certain parts of the code won't fully be released until Monday or so. The good news is, once those are all available, there should be custom ROM's showing up in a week or two.

c2k likes this.
  3. c2k

c2k Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Sweet, well thats really cool then! Thank you very much for your help =]

4. IAmCole

IAmCole New Member

So does 2.1 not allow 512 MB of RAM? I've tried looking for this answer and couldn't find anyone talking about limitations of RAM on 2.1. What's it limited at?

5. sirlanceem

sirlanceem Member

i have no proof of this... but i saw an image from a captivate on the internet somewhere stating that only 311,xxx kb of ram was in use... so roughly that's about 310 mb of ram