• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ralkkai

Android Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2012
Canyon, TX
Greetings from the Samsung Transform Ultra-Rooted forum. I just got my Transformer this week and i was wondering if some people could give me the pros and cons on which custom roms they use for this thing and also how to install one. It seems pretty much completely different than flashing one on my phone. Any help and advice would be awesome!

This one had the kernel built-in as well. But like all CM Roms, you have to flash GAPPS seperately. I backed up first using Team Rouge's recovery. So I'm runinning CM10 with a nandroid backup of rooted stock available to restore to if needed.

The only recovery that worked for me was the one by Team Rouge. I'll try to find the links for everything I needed - I'm sure they were around here somewhere. I do know that I tried using Clockwork Mod Recovery (both normal and touch), and kept getting "can't mount SD card" error messages. Somewhere in this thread is a link for a fix - If I find it I'll post it - but that "fix" had an option for rooting, or just flashing a new recovery.

*******Update******* follw the steps at the attached link. I highly recommend this to everyone running stock right now. I experience much less lag with this ROM.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/3...rmer-primetf101-jellybean-aosp-rom-update.htm

Incidentally, if you are having trouble getting the timing down with the volume down, power, volume up button combination, there is an app called reboot to recovery that will reboot you into whatever recovery you have flashed.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help. I ended up trying cm 10 but got discouraged after it taking a few attempts to flash and tried to flash back to stock...but my stock image won't recover. It stays at the Asus load screen and won't do anything else. I've tried clearing cache and factory reset to load it clean but no go I'm currently on megatron running guevor kernel. Its a great from tho I had a few issues with it rebooting.

On cm 10 how did you get play store on it? Was it in the gapps?

Upvote 0
from what i learned is that the mount points on JB or cm10 are different than in ics. you have to flash a fresh ics rom before you can restore a backed up of ics. i'm also on megatron but i hear a lot about revolver.. might try that until jb by raymanfx is out of beta

Edit: and i believe the play store comes with gapps(google apps) :)

Upvote 0
im back tough the thread is kinda dead after a few months lol. Ive been on Megatron for the duration of my time with the tablet. my current issues are that Megatron at its current state experiences semi-frequent random restarts and sleep of deaths. on top of that it seems that when waking it up or closing out an app, its really laggy at times trying to go from screen to screen. i thought the lag had something to do with the kernel but tested different settings and 2 different kernels and the lag only changes minimally. what im thinking about doing s pulling out some apks and my saved docs etc and then flashing over to cm10 since i believe its out of beta now and flashing over the gapps(play store included :p) and then sideload the apks that i want to keep like the asus specific apps (the weather widget and such) and then go from there. yays, nays, and thoughts?

EDIT: also i get the screen flicker issue that so many people have complained about and i think its tied to the rom

Upvote 0
Why don't you use Titanium Backup toy backup your apks and the data associated with them? Much easier than doing it manually.

I'd give the Team EOS Nightlies a whirl, I've been on Nighlty 79 for ages. It's stable, solid and I've not had a random reboot, flicker or anything yet. The volume is a tad low, but flashing this kernel helped a lot with that: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1985882

Upvote 0
tbh Nightlies scare me as they are unofficial releases and they come with bugs, hence why i went with Megatron as i had figured it was among the most stable, and after a panic from my soft-brick incident, it was the first one i got to work right. I thought TiBU only works for backing data if you buy it. I'm a poor collage student so i cant really run out and buy a bunch of apps lol. I know on my phone you can boot to cwm and do an advanced restore and jsut restore data from a backed up rom, which means that you get all your apps restored too in one go. I havent had such luck on this tablet when i tried it.

Upvote 0
i stand corrected...got TiBU and doing a full backup now. idk if im in the flashing mood tonight though. What does EOS have in it that stands out? i'd be ok with a Nightly that is stable as opposed to an official cm9 release that isnt, ya know? also i have rogue xm recovery woudl that affect anything? i read on xda that some people were havign issues flashing cm10 using rogue

Upvote 0
I ended up flashing the unofficial stable cm10. I believe it has the same kernel you mentioned. I'd almost like to do a side by side comparison between this and the nightly your running but I don't know when I'll have the time. In any case thanks for the advice. :)

You have a cm10 kernel on your tu and it didn't kill your phone?

EDIT: Never mind... I just saw I was on the wrong forum.... lol

Upvote 0
After the first month of having my TF101 I switched from the stock ROM to Revolver ROM with Guevor's kernel. I recently had 48 days of uptime. I only rebooted it so I could change kernel versions. Since then I am at 25 days of uptime.

The only issue I have with it is gmail and google calendar sometimes crashes. And gnufabio doesn't plan to release any Jellybean unless Asus does.

Upvote 0
I jsuts saw that EOS was working on their 4.2 build the other night. I'm gonna wait a few weeks for some of the bugs to get worked out and definitely flash over to it. I get confused by the build numbers though. Goo manager lists 85 as the most recent nightly but the folks over at XDA are talking about a B98 or something. I believe its like the B98 is for testing while the 85 is the most stable or sometihng.

EDIT: Just noticed you linked it....it is very tempting XD

Upvote 0
After the first month of having my TF101 I switched from the stock ROM to Revolver ROM with Guevor's kernel. I recently had 48 days of uptime. I only rebooted it so I could change kernel versions. Since then I am at 25 days of uptime.

The only issue I have with it is gmail and google calendar sometimes crashes. And gnufabio doesn't plan to release any Jellybean unless Asus does.

You are getting 48 days of uptime? How about battery life? I got 5 days on battery right now. with about 11 hours of screen on time.

Upvote 0
I jsuts saw that EOS was working on their 4.2 build the other night. I'm gonna wait a few weeks for some of the bugs to get worked out and definitely flash over to it. I get confused by the build numbers though. Goo manager lists 85 as the most recent nightly but the folks over at XDA are talking about a B98 or something. I believe its like the B98 is for testing while the 85 is the most stable or sometihng.

EDIT: Just noticed you linked it....it is very tempting XD

Took me awhile to figure that out as well. B98 just has some fixes that are not found in the new nightlies. The biggest issues for me is that Nova Launcher (my preferred launcher) does not work as well with 4.2 as Apex launcher does, battery life is good...but not as good as some of the 4.1 ROMs, and performance is just not quite as zippy. After about a week, I'm sold on this ROM and will not be going back to 4.1 again.

Upvote 0
If I get time tonight, I'll give this a go probably. You using the stock kernel UBR?

No, I have been using the K.A.T kernel for 4.2 so I can pump up the volume using the K.A.T app.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1985882

Only had one random reboot in a week (that I know of).

One other thing I should mention. Use the stock version of Google search or Google now will not work. The 12/13 version of Google search in the market will break Google now functionality.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones