• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
now that 88 and i think B106 are both out, I'm getting really curious. I will probably make a plan to flash soon. As far as kernels go, I have only flashed one once and now I don't remember what exactly to do. Don't you just flash the it as a zip in recovery gapps and whatnot?

Also I read that 88 is pretty much ready for daily use. My main concern right now is if their is any screen flicker like I had in Megatron, and minimum reboots as I am averaging a reboot once every 2 days or so (so far conveniently when I am not using the tablet. I use Apex so The issue your having with Nova isn't so much a worry for me, although I have experienced an issue with Apex and EOS 3 a month or so ago. lol rambling sorry. Need more coffee

Upvote 0
I'm still running 103 and it works well...but yes, there are occasionally screen flickers on the home screen. I'll have to try 108. Quadrant scores are awful but besides a non-buttery smooth home screen experience, launching apps and playing games has shown good performance.

Once you install the ROM and Gapps, reboot your tablet. You typically don't want to flash a new kernel before you boot it up for the first time. Then just reboot into recovery and flash the kernel. I believe you still have to side load the K.A.T application separately to boost or modify the audio streams.

The biggest improvement over the 4.1 CM builds is that I have not had audio drop out once (the K.A.T app allows you to reinitialize the audio)

Reactions: Ralkkai
Upvote 0
I'm running the K.A.T. app right now on EOS 3 with the kernel it came with and the sound is very much improved with only an issue involving the volume slider. It slides real buggy on screen but the volume still goes up and down so I can seal with it. I think its directly related to ,e not using the K.A.T. kernel with it even though the dev behind it said it should work regardless of kernels.

With that said, I'm probably going to flash 88 with the latest K.A.T. kernel sometime this week. Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
Well, my inner flash addict couldn't wait so I've flashed 88 and it seems to be working great. No major issues to speak of and I don't see any issues with the combined brightness/volume slider (except that I would prefer separate sliders).

I'm running the stock kernel @ 1.4 GHz and using the K.A.T app for enhanced volume appears to be working perfectly.

Upvote 0
Ok, so UBRocked, You've become my goto guy for this tablet whether you like it or not. Next question: I'm barely on build 88 and so far the only thing that I can see that I don't like is that the Google Search Bar is really bulky looking and plastered right in the middle of the top of the screen. Is there any way to change that at all? I can't see anything in setting?

Upvote 0
Haha, NP.

I don't think there is a way to hide the search bar with the stock launcher. I like the look of stock but always use an alternate launcher. On my tablet I am using Apex launcher (free version) but on my phone I use Nova Launcher (paid version). The only reason I am using Apex on my tablet is so I can have the stock 4.2 looking Google search bar.

You can hide the search bar on both Apex and Nova. If you definitely don't want the search bar...then try Nova launcher as I think the performance is better. The free version will work fine for most people.

I posted a pic of my setup with Apex launcher here: http://androidforums.com/asus-eee-pad-transformer/370060-post-your-screenshots-here.html#post5384392

Upvote 0
I ended up restoring my Apex and data and it set everything right for me. I've already gotten around to retheming eveything...again....so it looks nothing like it does in the post above your screenshot post. That brings me to some issues. So far, I've noticed that it seems 4.2 doesn't seem to read /removable at all so I gotta get used to accessing my sd card via /mnt instead. Also it's gonna be rough to get used to the status bar being up top, although I'm liking the 2 separate dropdown menus.

I am having trouble uploading images to Facebook, which I will be looking into but I noticed a big issue is that either its my imagination or I'm burning through battery juice like crazy. I have been on it all day but it seems I've used twice as much battery as usual. I usually don't benchmark battery life right after a flash so I'll look at it tomorrow.

A big plus however is that the sound issue is completely fixed. between using K.A.T. kernel and sound app, everything sounds good. Not eardrum blaring or anything but tons better than EOS 3/CM10.

Upvote 0
I wasn't a fan initially of the phablet layout for tablets in 4.2 but I decided to give it a whirl. I didn't like it initially but it's growing on me.

As far as removable storage, it is located under storage/sdcard1 whereas the internal storage is located under storage/sdcard0. In 4.2 everything got moved to a folder named "0". It's been crazy confusing but I think I have finally straightened my storage out.

Battery life has been a little worst for me as well. Been playing GTA3 for a little over 1 hour tonight and had my screen on for the whole 3 hours since I took it off the charger and it drained my battery by 40% at about 35% brightness. Standby time has been okay and over all battery has been acceptable for me but not great.

I don't upload any photos to FB from my tablet so not sure about that one. You might want to clear app data from FB and then set up your FB account through the Accounts & Sync settings menu. FB is just so shitty on Android that I typically attribute any problems with the app itself :)

Glad the sound is better for you. Let me know if you lose audio cause I have not had a problem with that. Every 4.1.2 ROM I have run would lose audio and you would have to either reboot the device or reinhibit the audio through the K.A.T app about once a day. Have not had that issue once since using EOS4. Very happy about that.

Upvote 0
Actually about a month ago, the devs for Facebook rebuilt the android app from the ground up and it runs, allegedly, as good as the iPhone version. I read an article that stated that the original FB app was built off of the one used in the semi-smart phones from a few years back. (Older Blackberries, etc.)

As far as this layout you refer to as "phablet" goes, I think I'll get used to it, since I run Ubuntu and everything is at the top for that.

Also, I read over in XDA that the super drain on battery has something to do with auto-rotate, so basically when you not using it, they say to keep it off for now, and it should be fixed by 89.

Reactions: UBRocked
Upvote 0
I hear you on the facebook app but I'm still not able to sync my FB contacts without using Friend Caster. Have you been able to upload a picture yet?

Good to know about the battery drain, thx. I rarely use my tablet for long enough in a single day to drain it completely so battery life is not a main focus for me. Now that I said that though...I'll end up with a dead battery when I really need it LOL!

Upvote 0
lol I got it to upload to facebook. I think it was just the app being finicky after being reloaded and whatnot. I left it idle today for about 6 hours and it only burned about 12% battery with auto-rotate turned off. But, 89 came out this morning so I'm gonna flash that and see what all got fixed. I was looking for a changelog over on xda but couldn't find much more than them mentioning that the FC issue with Chrome is fixed.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the update on 89. My flash addiction is usually reserved from 7pm to midnight so at least I have one device to update! I did turn off auto rotate just to see if it actually made a difference. That is one of the more bizarre battery draining causes I have heard of. Wifi...BT...those make sense. Auto rotate? I'll have to experience it to believe it :)

I did notice that 88 was "smoother" than 103 (the last preview I had tried).

Upvote 0
no prob about the update on the update. I'm noticing a much better battery life since yesterday and I have auto-rotate on. I totally agree that it's wierd that that would cause such a bad leak but it seemed to be fixed. There still seems to be a somewhat sluggish feel about the rom overall though. Also if you are bumping to 89, you might want to read in the OP at xda about the software keyboard issue. it disappears on occasion while your typing and plays hells trying to get it back. they post a temp workaround is to disable autocorrect and the word guess feature in the keyboard settings, it cleared it right up and isn't too overly annoying without autocorrect popping up every time i type. I give a few more builds and this will be the go to custom rom for the TF101. I'm considering posting a thread in this forum to try and push it since alot of the rom flashing addicts don't visit xda and the rom list here hasnt been updated. just a quit advertising i guess. the rom is too beast to pass up lol

Reactions: UBRocked
Upvote 0
Yeah it is an issue with the 4.2 keyboard on the TF. Even the 4.1 builds had the same issue when you installed the 4.2 keyboard. Swiftkey beta didn't work well in landscape mode...I don't know when they will get it sorted out.

Going to try the 89 build soon. Just charging my tablet first (I usually flash ROMs only when there battery is full even though I don't really believe it helps with the battery calibrations).

Go for it... Start a post. I always cherry pick from XDA and Rootzwiki but don't get into discussions there :)

Upvote 0
I'm wondering if you can sideload or "restore" the older keyboard apk to fix it maybe? In any case, I'm at about 16 hours uptime with nor reboots and no SOD so we'll see how the rest of this week goes.

and yeah XDA scares me lol. They're all smart.

I don't know if you could do that without causing some minor headaches. I would install the ICS keyboard from the Play Store (which is basically the same as the JB 4.1 keyboard...the Jelly Bean 4.2 keyboards in the play store will give you the same issues with text prediction and gesture support not working).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...sMSwxLDEsImlucHV0bWV0aG9kLmxhdGluLnBvcnRlZCJd

Until the 4.2 keyboard is working 100% I am using thumb keyboard which is okay. Swiftkey for tablets might be a better choice (but I already paid for the one I'm using LOL).

Upvote 0
The only reboot I've seen since EOS 4 was on build 88 when I was restoring my apps via the Play Store's automatic service but I think it was from a glitch somehow. All was well after that. I'm gonna flash over 90 in a hour or so and spend the evening restoring...again...and exploring what features got carried over from the B106 version.

Upvote 0
Another word on keyboards...

I had purchase the SlideIT keyboard a long time ago and hadn't really used it. I installed it becauseI like to use the gesture typing when on my tablet. It works pretty well, text prediction is good but no real time prediction when tracing out a word.

Not sure what the cost is now but if anyone is looking for a gesture keyboard that actually works with 4.2, this might work well for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones