Custom Text Message ToneSupport

Last Updated:

1. wvandiver94

wvandiver94 New Member

I just got the Huawei Ascend today, and I was wondering: Can I set a custom text message tone? There's one I really want, it's the speaking device alert, from Metal Gear Solid. But I don't see an option for it. I can set it as a ringtone, but don't see a message for custom notification alert. Please help! D:

Anduiril likes this.
  2. UnSmartphone

UnSmartphone Well-Known Member

if you are going to have a custom text tone you will need "handcent" it is a sms app which you can get from the market and it will let you have a custom tone on default text messages... and once inside of a "conversation" there are options for each individual in your contacts to have there own personal text tone if you wanted... Plus it has tons of other options that i think should have been pre-installed like getting a audible and vibrate alert after so many minutes of missing it... next you will want something that reminds you audibly for missed phone calls... i have found "easy reminder" is pretty good for this... just enable the phone part and not the sms part because handcent will take care of all text message issues..

if u have any questions ill try and answer them for ya... im pretty new to this phone myself but have found a few good apps so far :)
  3. tmccul21

tmccul21 New Member

How do stop phone text messages from coming in. I just want the handcent messages to come in
  4. UnSmartphone

UnSmartphone Well-Known Member

well they both just look in the same directory for your text.. so i guess you mean that both handcent and your default text app are both notifying you of incoming text??? If so follow these steps:

1.Open up the android messaging app

2. Go to menu, then click on settings.

3. Scroll down and find the option labeled "Notifications", and uncheck the box.
  5. elang89

elang89 New Member

how do i set personal text tones for individuals but still have a default message tone for contacts that do not have assigned tones??
  6. nuttmeg

nuttmeg Well-Known Member

i use go sms pro, and you can pick a custom ringtones for notification...
    Kuzco likes this.
  7. septembersrain

septembersrain 句_句 Smurfing Awesome VIP Member

I think you can cover most of this by using the app called "Tone Picker". It's free. It helps you set Ringtone, Notification, and Messaging to your own custom music. You can control the volume through it as well. Hope that helps.
  8. mdside71

mdside71 Well-Known Member

GoSMS Pro many settings you can customize. I love that not only can i have custom notifications for each one of my contacts, but i can also set up custom signatures as well for every single one of them.
  9. pats2nd

pats2nd New Member

Thanks love this app
  10. nuttmeg

nuttmeg Well-Known Member

yep and alot of themes you can use, even iphone themes as well...
  11. Grimwolf117

Grimwolf117 New Member

so, i got GO SMS Pro, but i cant for the life of me figure out how to set the custom notifications. if you could explain how in some detail i would really appreciate it. thank you
  12. Axemonkey

Axemonkey Member

Somebody please tell me how to access Personalized Text Notification Sounds settings in Handcent? Somehow in my pocket a custom sound got set for one of my contacts and I can't for the life of me figure out how to change it back to default! It is making me CRAZY! Please HELP!!!!
  13. nrbee

nrbee New Member

If you want to customise the message in GOSMS you must be using the pro version with a running mode of "Pro mode" which you can set from Menu, "Settings". Then you can do as follows:
    1. Copy the sound file (mp3) that you want to use onto the root of the SD card
    2. Start GOSMS (Pro)
    3. Press "menu", settings and then the "advanced" tab
    4. Select "Notification Settings" and then scroll down and select "Default Notification Settings", "Select Ringtone" and then "Music"
    5. You will then see a list of mp3 files from the SD card. Select one.
    6. Thats it!
    Kuzco and kevinrubio like this.
  14. ChuckHester

ChuckHester New Member