Custom Unlock on S4?General

1. kylebrown669

kylebrown669 Active Member

The strangest thing is starting to happen a few times to me. When i have removed the battery from my phone while it has been on i get a unlock symbol with custom above it. I have not done anything to the phone it is all stock but i was wondering what this could be. I will attach a picture

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  2. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Well-Known Member

Some hits on Google say it means the phone has been accessed by Odin. Others say it's from root, and lastly the bootloader is unlocked. Posting the appropriate S4 section on XDA may provide you with some better clues.
    kylebrown669 likes this.
  3. kylebrown669

See thats the weirdest thing is that i have not done any of those to the device thats what i can not understand. And it is very random when it decides to do it.
  4. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

Did you buy the device brand new, or second hand? If my memory serves me correctly, I believe that's the screen you get when the Odin Flash counter is not zero.
  5. kylebrown669

Brand new device the day the 32GB came out from my friend at the ATT store. I would understand if i see it every single time but i have only seen it 4 times.
  6. Darnell0216

One person who received it like that found out they got a factory unlocked bootloader by accident after the XDA devs got a look at a system dump. This was on an S3. And yes, it only appears sparingly, usually on a cold boot (battery pull/0% battery).
    kylebrown669 likes this.
  7. kylebrown669

So i should have XDA take a look at it?
  8. Darnell0216

Yes. They can at least let you know if you have any bonuses that will help all of S4 Kind, LoL.
  9. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

i have this because I unlocked my bootloader, i find it odd that it would show up at random times
  10. kylebrown669

Ya out of the many many times i have pulled the battery out to reboot it has only happened a total of 4 times. Someone at XDA said its a used phone when i dont see how that is possible since i took the 16GB back the day the 32GB was released and exchanged it i was even the first person to get one from that store.
  11. wtherrell

wtherrell Well-Known Member

If you unlocked bootloader on Vzw Gs4 you deserve a prize and a medal. No one else has done it. I had to buy dev edition to get an unlocked bootloader. My screen showed a locked lock until I rooted & flashed custom recovery. Then the unlocked lock icon & the word "Custom" appeared.
  12. kylebrown669

Interesting so i have posted it on XDA also but have not really found anything out from them yet but no one else has touched my phone but me and i have not done anything to it. Do you get the custom unlock screen each time?
  13. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

there was a method called "loki" that would unlock both the att and verizon bootloaders. this method worked until the newest updates from both companies killed it, but i never got the update (im on att), so i have had no problem
  14. jhawkkw

It didn't technically unlock the bootloader, it tricked it into thinking another signature was authentic.
    wtherrell likes this.
  15. schemppjr80

schemppjr80 Well-Known Member

I myself have an att model s4 and I got mine with the mf3 update and yes the bootloder is locked and im rooted and I didnt c the screen with the unlocked lock on it till I rooted this phone...and there is 1 person I know of (not personally) that has unlocked the bootloader on both Verizon and att by himself but is waiting for att and Verizon to release there next updates b4 he releases it because if he releases it to soon and the two companies catch wind of it they'll send out there ota update with there fixes for it and itll put us back at square 1
  16. jhawkkw

Did the root process involve using Odin?
  17. schemppjr80

schemppjr80 Well-Known Member

No it did not it involved terminal emulator and some img. files
    jhawkkw likes this.
  18. grinchy1

grinchy1 New Member

Hi, I was wondering if you ever found out why your phone did that. I have the same phone and mine did the same thing. but I could never get it to fully turn on after that.

Verizon did not even know why it did that. I have never tried to root my phone or anyting like that. They had to finally send me a new one because I could not use it. I am hoping it does not happen to my new. But since I don't know why it did it in the first place I don't know what to do.