• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Custom Wallpaper Setup

I'd like to use a specific graphic\picture as the wallpaper for my Desire.

I tried resizing the JPG to 800x480 which I was told is the correct sizing for the Desire, and transferred it to the phone's SD Card.

The Photo app shows the picture in its full resolution and correct aspect ratio, which looks great.

The problem comes when I select the image for use a my wallpaper, I'm presented with a square box that is wanting to select which portion of the image to use as the wallpaper. I can resize the box, but only so far as the width of the display and the aspect ratio is locked and doesn't fit the screen proportions.

If I select the image this way, only a portion of the image is used as the wallpaper and it is stretched, which looks horrible.

I'm assuming it's something to do with the 'stitching' together of the background for all of the home screens, but has anyone managed to work out what's required of the original image (size, resolution, aspect ratio etc.) to enable a good looking background on the Desire that is fixed across each of the homescreens, i.e. doesn't scroll?

Or is there an app that manages this? I've taken a good look at the market, but nothing seems to work with the Desire\2.1

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones