Custome Rom including Live Wallpapers

Last Updated:

1. spottyelephant

spottyelephant Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone seen this?

I thought custom roms on the milestone weren't possible, or is this just a layer ontop of the existing kernal etc?

More importantly, is there anyway to get the live wallpapers without putitng that Rom on?!

Advertisement
    fejker and MarioNico like this.
  2. fejker

fejker Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. I'm going to try a couple of custom roms now.

3. Jabbypants

Jabbypants Well-Known Member

Interested in this let us know how you got on with loading it etc.

4. fejker

fejker Well-Known Member

I've tried loading TelloROM_V2 which I don't like. The default highlight color is blue and the icons are kinda ugly. Also I don't like the skin which wants to be sort of a glass theme from Vista - ugh.
    Right now I'm using the Pulsar_1-2 custom rom with the update and it works fine. Nothing to scream about. It's just a rom with integrated 2.1 apps. I'll still be using Home++ as a replacement for the home screen as I prefer the 3 home screen setup to the default 5 for the 2.1 launcher.

Otherwise everything works fine.

A quick how-to for loading the custom rom:
    - download the ZIP file with the custom rom
    - connect your milestone to your computer using USB
    - extract the content of the ZIP file to the root of your memory card (the ZIP file contains an update.zip file, a directory called hiapkUpdate with the update files and a readme in German) - all three things should be in the root directory of your memory card (well, you can leave out the readme.txt)
    - turn off your milestone
    - turn on your milestone by holding the camera shutter and the power button until you see an exclamation mark within a triangle
    - then press the volume up and shutter button
    - clear the user and cache data (you can move through the menu and confirm selections with the d-pad)
    - then choose update with update.zip
    - after a short while the phone should say the update was successful and you can then reboot by choosing the reboot option from the menu
    - the reboot will take a while so be patient as the phone has to go through the initial setup process
    - I think you know how to go on after that

I hope this helps ... I'm still waiting for the official 2.1 release for the milestone but until then I'll use this custom ROM.

BTW, I didn't do a nand backup and everything went through flawlessly. That doesn't mean you can't brick your phone, so be careful!

eachna likes this.
  5. Jabbypants

Does it offer any enhancements over the stock rom, like speed etc is it any faster.

6. fejker

fejker Well-Known Member

Nothing noticeable, google maps 4.0 are included, voice search and voice command is kinda cool.

I'll stay with the custom rom but it's nothing special really.

7. Jabbypants

So if i don't like this is there a way of putting it back to stock rom, a download for it.

8. fejker

fejker Well-Known Member

eachna likes this.
  9. Jabbypants

Nice one thanks alot.

Went without a hitch apart from not having no internet signal at all for some reason, only wifi works.

10. Brendanmurphy

Brendanmurphy Well-Known Member

What happened to not being able to use custom roms on the milestone?

11. fejker

fejker Well-Known Member

You have to set your APN again. Contact your carrier for details or search for the parameters. I'm on a Slovenian carrier so cant help you here.

12. Jabbypants

Damn dont' know what T-Mobile uk's settings are

13. fejker

fejker Well-Known Member

14. Jabbypants

You are a star mate that worked a treat thanks a lot.

Edit : Browser lag is much better just put Dolphin in and its barely noticeable now superb.

Not put the update on yet is it the same principle just extract that hiakupdate file and use the update file that came with the original 1.2 rom.

15. spottyelephant

There's a fix for the browser lag

I haven't a clue whether it would work with a custom Rom, or whether it requires stock.

As for the Roms - did the Tello one have live wallpapers? Pretty much the only reason i'd be putting a custom rom on!

16. Jabbypants

I never used the Tello one I used the other one he mentioned and that does have live wallpapers, there is still lag on moving around the screens and its based on 2.1. I am starting to wonder if its more to do with the phones hardware as its still not smooth even after the latest update.

17. spottyelephant

Are you talking about lag using the live wallpapers, or lag on the browser?

The browser lag isn't due to hardware - it's due to the way images are handled since the update. Hopefully that'll be reverted back in next update.

As for the live wallpapers, how'd they look? Any slow-down?

18. Jabbypants

I mean the phone is still generally laggy when moving around the screens on 2.0/2.0.1 and the same on this 2.1 rom, why when swipping around the screens is it so jerky and not smooth, even the HTC Hero I have is as smooth as butter and that is lower spec phone and that's even when i have tried 2.1 android roms on it, just doesn't make sense to me that it should be laggy moving around the phone.

I have the rain drops live wallpaper on and its ok not really tested it properly yet though so will keep you posted can knock a video out if you want. I am really hoping they work a way round overclocking the cpu as i think this is where the problem is am sure if it was at 800mhz it would be super fast.

19. spottyelephant

Cool, gonna do this at the weekend so.

2 Questions though:

- does applying this wipe your phone, or is the process just like the official 2.0.1 one? I came from a Galaxy which was wipe everytime so just wondering.

- do you think this will affect when we'll be able to get the official 2.1 update from Moto? Moto release their updates on a per region basis, so does this custom Rom have a region association, or is that based on the kernal and my phone will still be a "german" milestone?

edit: - how is the home screen in landscape when the keyboard's opened?

20. Jabbypants

I will do you a short you tube video so you can see it in action, easier then.

21. hef

hef Well-Known Member

correct me if i'm wrong but these aren't really ROMs right? they're just mods of the stock signed motorola ROMs....

22. Jabbypants

I really dont know hef when I look in settings on mine it does say 2.1 and not 2.0.1.

23. hef

hef Well-Known Member

hmmm, interesting.
    i really need to read a LOT more about android likes. a lot of the stuff on those pages is way over my head right now.

24. Jabbypants

spottyelephant and MarioNico like this.
  25. spottyelephant

Looks like it runs well. Cheers for that. Definately gonna throw the Rom on at the weekend. I assume we'd be able to install other wallpapers as they come out?

I know I shouldn't really put so much emphasis on aesthetics, but i just like to have stuff look goood!