• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Customer Service Story (BAD Best Buy)

mazz0310

Android Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2009
Alright, as some of you may have seen I have very poor battery life and when I charge my phone overnight it'll actually loose battery so....

I went to a Verizon in the mall, they started arguing there is no problem and I need to kill tasks (I do) and I basically had to argue with them to give me a new phone and finally they said they would. Unfortunately they couldn't pull up my purchase because I bought it at Best Buy so they couldn't swap it out for me.
I then went to Best Buy and they two argued with me that the phone is designed to stop charging when it's full and this is normal. I clearly argued with them and they too didn't want to swap it out for me. I kept arguing and finally they said leave the phone with us and we'll fully charge it and then see how much the battery decreases once it hits 100%. I came back 5 hours later and they took the phone off the charger when it hit 100% and when I got there they said there is no problem cause the phone was still at 100%, so I asked if they used it at all and they said no it sat in the cabinet and no one touched it (Of course its still 100%). They said there is nothing wrong and wouldn't let me exchange it. I said I want to return it but they won't let me because I don't have the box. So I walked out very very mad.
I then went to another different Verizon store and walked in and these people were actually nice and wanted to help, they GAVE me a new battery and said to try this battery and see if there is still a problem. I explained what the other Verizon and Best Buy did and how they gave me a hard time and they couldn't believe it. They then said that if I still have a problem to go back and they will help me out.

I was 100% courteous in all the stores (until they pissed me off) and no one wanted to help me until I went to the last store. I find all this to be ridiculous.

So now I am on almost the end of the first hour with the new battery and hopefully this will actually work.

You should have gone to a corporate store first. In my experience authorized retailers, including Best Buy, suck when you need anything when it comes to a cell phone.

I bought my Droid at Best Buy against my better judgement and when I got home I made sure to check my plan and they added the $45 data plan instead of $30, didn't give me insurance, and dropped my $5 for 1000 text message promotional package I've had forever and that isn't offered anymore. Took the people in the Verizon store forever to get sorted out but were finally able to get my promotional text package back and everything else.

Upvote 0
Well the only reason I bought from Best Buy is because I am stupid when it comes to new electronics and I MUST have it. (I'm sure a lot of you are the same) and so I preordered it from Best Buy so I can have it first thing in the morning Friday.

And to drj400m: It's not much of a surprise the service was horrible because I am on Long Island NY and people don't like to be nice to other people here.....I need to move.

Anyway, I learned my lesson. I may just take it back on Monday when i can get the box and go buy a new one from VZW, because of course they still have some, unlike the storm I didn't preorder and then couldn't find anywhere.

Upvote 0
If you return the phone to Best Buy, will they reset your "eligible for new phone" date in Verizon's records? I've asked Best Buy and Verizon about that, and concluded that I might have to make a major fuss to avoid getting screwed. Verizon and Best Buy can't even agree on who you signed the contract with -- Verizon says your contract is with Best Buy, and Best Buy says the reverse.

Upvote 0
Of course your contract is with VZW... Verizon pays indirect retailers (i.e., Best Buy) based on the contracts they sign; these retailers eat the losses on phone subsidies in return for the payouts on each agreement.

I work in a genuine Verizon comm. store and I obviously agree that you should make *ALL* of your account changes (upgrades, etc) in one of our stores. I have seen independent retailers screw customers like you wouldnt believe. I've seen them sign customers to new 2-year agreements in exchange for USED equipment fraudulently described as new. Ive heard of reps in these locations offering to meet customers in deserted parking lots to sell them stolen phones. I have heard of reps refusing to return equipment within the 30 day window to avoid losing the commission.

Do yourself a favor, even if you must pay a *little* more for your device upfront, purchase from a real corporate store to get the best customer service and piece of mind in the future.

Upvote 0
Of course your contract is with VZW... Verizon pays indirect retailers (i.e., Best Buy) based on the contracts they sign; these retailers eat the losses on phone subsidies in return for the payouts on each agreement.

I work in a genuine Verizon comm. store and I obviously agree that you should make *ALL* of your account changes (upgrades, etc) in one of our stores. I have seen independent retailers screw customers like you wouldnt believe. I've seen them sign customers to new 2-year agreements in exchange for USED equipment fraudulently described as new. Ive heard of reps in these locations offering to meet customers in deserted parking lots to sell them stolen phones. I have heard of reps refusing to return equipment within the 30 day window to avoid losing the commission.

Do yourself a favor, even if you must pay a *little* more for your device upfront, purchase from a real corporate store to get the best customer service and piece of mind in the future.
Wow... I've never met an independent seller as shady as those you've mentioned. Of course the only Verizon store people I knew were those I worked with when I was working at Firedog for Circuit City--which had a Verizon store in the middle of the store. They were all nice people, but the store manager was a douche to them--glad she finally got canned.

Upvote 0
Why would you have to meet in a desserted parking lot in order to sell a stolen phone? It's not like people are going to walk by and assume that that is what you are doing.

I dont know-- thats what I was told by the customer... she came in to activate the phone, and I told her it was on our stolen list. She was hysterical. The situation she described was pretty amusing other than the fact she was defrauded.

Upvote 0
Guido, it's Verizon that's telling me my contract is with BB. Both on the phone, and in-person at a VZW store.

To their credit, BB exchanged my phone with no argument. The problem is with getting to see the contract and calling plan that I agreed to, sight unseen, when I got the phone.

First I called 888-BESTBUY. The woman there told me she had no way to send me the contract, and I'd have to go to the store in person.

While I was at the store to return the phone, I asked to see the papers. I know, I shouldn't have signed off on seeing them if I hadn't, but surely they could show them to me now? Nope, they had nothing to show me.

Stopped at the nearby VZW store, and asked if they could give me a printout of the same verbiage I would've gotten if I'd bought the phone there (on the assumption that the terms are probably identical). No, they couldn't print it out since I wasn't buying a phone.

Back at home, I called 888-BESTBUY again. Customer Relations wasn't helpful, so I asked for a supervisor. The supervisor called the store, and reported back that I could get the papers from the mobile manager there. I called him, and he told me they had no details of the calling plan, because VZW doesn't give them anything. He did have my contract. I asked him to leave a copy with the Customer Service desk so I could come by any time during store hours. Nope, can't leave a contract with Customer Service because it contains confidential information, like my address. I didn't know how to argue with such, umm, zealous protection of my privacy, so that's where it stands for now.

Upvote 0
x475,

I cant imagine how your contract could be with best buy, that sounds outrageous to me. Cant you sign in to your "myverizon" online account and see your account details? Try registering or logging in at verizonwireless.com

And it IS true that a legit VZW comm store would NOT be able to print-out a copy of your best buy transaction, as each retailer uses a different POS system/network. But they should at least be able to give you the details of your price plan/terms of your contract.

Upvote 0
No, it doesn't make sense. I'm not too concerned about the contract and plan anymore. But the experience has convinced me to stick with genuine VZW stores -- because of the confusion over responsibility, and because the service and attitude is so much better at VZW.

Incidentally, my son bought his Droid the same day, at a Best Buy near school. I've since discovered that they left his line with a $45/month data plan, and a $5.99/month Asurion plan which isn't valid for the Droid. No problem getting that fixed by VZW.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones