• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Customizable location broadcaster?

AstroKatie

Lurker
Sep 20, 2010
Do you know of any kind of Android app that would do the following? I want something that will keep track of my location (based on cell phone towers, wifi, or GPS -- whatever is enabled at the time) and log it periodically (with the time intervals set by me). The information in that log should then be uploaded to a webpage, but with a location resolution set by me. I.e., I want to decide if it will display just the country I'm in, or the city, or as close as it can determine. Ideally, really, it would make more than one option available so I could give different information to different people. Does anything like this exist?

I've checked out Google Latitude and it does not appear to be what I'm looking for -- for one thing, it doesn't go to country resolution, and for another, you have to either tell the whole world (by putting the Latitude information on a webpage) or you have to share with other Google users who see the information while signed in to Google Latitude. I'd like something where I can give someone a link to a page that is secured either by a passoword (but not specifically a Google account), or by being an unlisted page that people with a link would be able to access but others would not be able to find by searching. Also Latitude doesn't seem to let me set the frequency of the update.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Using the GPS to share your location with your friends, google has this app already. When you first time login to google map, it will remind you that whether you would like to share your location with others, and if you select yes, you will get this function.

You're referring to Google Latitude, which is built into the map program. I've already discussed why that is not suitable.

Anyone have other suggestions?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones