• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Customize the charm, at all?

toddp91

Lurker
Feb 14, 2011
I hate myself for grabbing this thing without any research! It's android so I just took it for granted I could actually do stuff with it. Motorola locking the phone down is just stupid. If they don't want people playing with the OS then create their own propitiatory system. I mean an Android phone that cant be altered is not an Android phone. May as well get an iPhone if I want to be told what to do...

I rooted it. But I guess thats it. No Roms. Themes or anything?

Is there really anything you can do with this thing? Not being able to use a striped down custom rom is more then disappointing. And a couple hours on the net and from what I can tell, you cant do much of anything as far as Android goes.

I stripped down some stock apps but seems I took out something needed, getting a lot of force close now. But I dont imagine I can re install the rom...

I did, yes. I found a rom with the blur stripped and it seems to run pretty quick. I still am baffled why any company would sell an android phone locked down. Takes a lot of buyers off the table. I know its a low end phone. But the small size with keyboard was just what I wanted. And it does have adiquate juice. My last droid was the G1. This is 1/3 the size and runs better. Just would be nice to have some bare bones ROM options

My fault for not doing my research. Last Motorola I ever buy...

Upvote 0
I have a customized framework-res.apk for the motorola charm I been working on it for a week now everytime I get a chance, is about 80% done I just need to finish changing txt color for diferent things like th status bar and app notification, I will also try to implement the notification. Animations once I get done with the txt part. I looks real nice I only kept a few things from old framework since they interact and look better like a few dropdown menues, but very little thing are kept unchanged. This was porte using a cm7 LDPI ICS theme. IIf anyone is interested in using it let me knoe and I can post apk and update as im working on it, help is also wanted to finish with animations and make it more ICS like.
I will upload it tomorrow for who ever is interested in using it.
you must be rooted to install, just copy and paste the new framework-res.apk in system/framework and overwrite. I recomend you copy your original apk just in case you want to go back to old one, but is not gonna happen you gonna love the black statusbar with all new blue icos.

Upvote 0
I have a customized framework-res.apk for the motorola charm I been working on it for a week now everytime I get a chance, is about 80% done I just need to finish changing txt color for diferent things like th status bar and app notification, I will also try to implement the notification. Animations once I get done with the txt part. I looks real nice I only kept a few things from old framework since they interact and look better like a few dropdown menues, but very little thing are kept unchanged. This was porte using a cm7 LDPI ICS theme. IIf anyone is interested in using it let me knoe and I can post apk and update as im working on it, help is also wanted to finish with animations and make it more ICS like.
you must be rooted to install, just copy and paste the new framework-res.apk in system/framework and overwrite. I recomend you copy your original apk just in case you want to go back to old one, but is not gonna happen you gonna love the black statusbar with all new blue icos.

Reactions: abdulrehmanark
Upvote 0
where u hav uploaded the new framework-res.apk....i want to use it...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones