Customizing notification bar icons?

Last Updated:

1. d.scardino

d.scardino Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone know of a tutorial for this? Ide like to change up the icons on my thirdwave notification bar. thanks for the help in advance.

Advertisement
  2. d.scardino

d.scardino Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

nobody?

3. melophat

melophat Well-Known Member

bump for this... anyone?

4. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

5. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

There is A LOT of information out there about this that has already been answered for you. There is a search button on this forum, there is one over at XDA, and most importantly there is a search button at Google. And I am not trying to be an a-hole or anything so please don't take this as disrespect or anything like that.

The best way for me to sum up how to do it is this.

pull your framework folder from "system" (If you don't know what that is, look it up, you'll find it no prob.)

Depending on what you are going to "theme" or edit, is simply pictures. or .png files.
    and there is A LOT of them, hundreds, to thousands.

to change the icons for the notifications bar lays in one of two .apk. framework-res>res>DRAWABLE-HDPI

or, for the say, signal icons, theses are in com.htc.resources>res>DRAWABLE-HDPI

now, these are found in the framework FOLDER, which is what you will adb pull, OR just take from the already downloaded ROM.

once you pull the framework folder, inside will be those two .apk
    framework-res.apk
    com.htc.resources.apk

these are simply .zip files

to get to the folders I explained above you will need to simply change "com.htc.resources.apk" to "com.htc.resources.apk.zip"

a GREAT program for this is "7zip"

this allows you to edit the .png without having to re-sign the .apk if done correctly.

now this is a very summed up explanation, so you will still need to find a full tutorial, but this should help.

now, for say cyanogen roms, or some 2.2 only have a framework-res.apk there is no com.htc.resources.apk, as well, it isn't an htc ROM, and makes things MUCH easier when it comes to a full theme

Eris Lover and d.scardino like this.
  6. melophat

melophat Well-Known Member

not to sound like an idiot, but i've done searching on google/xda/here and haven't found a decent walkthrough. i've tried doing it the way you described on here by editing the image file without unpacking the zip, but it didn't take the edited images. i don't mind doing the research, but is there any specific terms i should search for or could you provide a link or 2 to start from please? Thanks ahead of time