Customizing vibrate feature

Last Updated:

1. Gamesoul Master

Gamesoul Master Member This Topic's Starter

Well... I realize that there isn't really a way to customize the vibrate function with stock functionality. And I realize that Handcent provides such an option (which I loved, for the short time it worked), but Handcent also causes vibrate to stop working almost completely in the phone (except for calls) even after being uninstalled. So Handcent is no option. Quite surprising actually, that they'd have such a fatal bug in the program. You always know when it happens to. You go to send a text (after some undefined amount of successful texts), and suddenly the phone reboots as you're sending. At that point, vibrate has stopped working for pretty much everything except calls.

Anyway... my question is whether there's any other app out there to either customize the whole vibrate function, or at least customize it for texts. I did a search and couldn't find much information on the subject (and some of what I *did* find was rather old). Two quick vibrates is not very useful for texts when it takes much longer than that to notice it vibrating (especially with how weak and quick those two vibrations are).

I understand ChompSMS allows for a few non-customizable options with vibration? I'm almost afraid to try, as it took two factory resets to figure out that Handcent was killing the vibrate feature... lol. I'll try it if it's "safe", but I'm rather hoping that maybe something better has come along that people are aware of.

Advertisement
  2. chfields

chfields Well-Known Member

Have you tried smart vibrate?? It is in the market and free...........

3. Gamesoul Master

While it may not offer the customization Handcent did for vibrate, it's more than enough for what I wanted. Thank you very much. Now to see what I can do with it.

Have you tried it yourself yet, btw? I've noticed that when I try to make a new pattern, and it offers a "contacts filter", I'm not actually sure what that means. Not only that, but when I select contacts from the list (by pushing the little button), selecting a contact doesn't do anything (doesn't show up in the list). Any insight on that? If not, I'll research it myself, but I figured I'd bring it up here since we're already on the topic.

4. chfields

chfields Well-Known Member

I used it for a short period of time, however, I found the vibration on this phone is too light. I have the rubber sleeve and keep it in a case so no matter what I set the vibrate pattern to, I can't feel it.....:(

5. Rube8514

Rube8514 Well-Known Member

i do agree that the vibrate feature for this phone is farely weak, especially if you are using the otterbox like i am. I hardly ever feel the vibrating going off at work when i get a text. I even have the vibration set to go through 3 or 4 cycles.

6. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise Well-Known Member

Handcent custom vibrate has been working fine for me for more than a month. I use the long vibrate and it seems to help the weak vibrate issue.

7. SilHero

SilHero Well-Known Member

i use sms pop up, but u cant really customize the vibrate,just choose between short,long, multiple long, or multiple short

8. Gamesoul Master

@WhiteNoise: My issue isn't with the custom vibrate feature. It's with Handcent itself. Within a hundred texts or so, the phone will suddenly reboot as the text is sending. This only happens with Handcent, and seems a bit random as to why/how it happens. But after that reboot, all vibrate function on my phone except for incoming calls stops working. That includes alarms, texts through the stock SMS app, etc. It's happened a few times to me now, so I know that's definitely the problem. The first time it happened was a few months ago, and the last time was 2 days ago... lol. The fact that it doesn't happen to everybody baffles me, as I can't find anything else that would cause that issue.