CWM and/or Odin

Last Updated:

1. JR866Gooner

JR866Gooner Well-Known Member

Hello all.

Quick question, when flashing a rom i understand you can use Odin on your pc-I've used this 2 or 3 times with no problems. I have read that someone copied the zip of their rom and flashed it using CWM. Does either way benefit over the other?

I would guess (on a separate note) keeping a nandroid backup on your sd card is a handy thing too in case your at work away from your trusty pc with Odin and can quickly restore your phone how it was should you wish! Is that correct?

Hope you can take the time to answer!

Thanks in advance! :)

2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

I always use the recovery to flash a new ROM. Unless it's not available as a flashable ZIP - in that case I use Mobile Odin. For me the 'benefit' is simply cutting out the middle-man (the PC), :)

I always have at least two nandroid-type backups stored on external SD card, plus copies on my PC and at least one cloud backup such as Dropbox or Google Drive. I want to be prepared for the inevitable cock-up! ;)
  3. JR866Gooner

JR866Gooner Well-Known Member

Thank you for the response, so at what point do you restore an old backup? Do you have to re root,install CWM and then restore the backup? Lets say i went ICS to JB, had an issue. Wanted to go back to my backup of ICS. I guess if your phone screws you flash and factory reset then restore backup?

Also lets say i use CWM to flash JB i have obviously rooted to install CWM, do i lose root once the flashing is complete through CWM and JB is installed?
  4. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

When things go pear-shaped, usually. :)

No, just boot into recovery and restore from there.

In this case you'd simply reboot into recovery, restore the ICS backup then reboot.

If you're flashing custom firmwares via recovery then root will be preserved. The only time you'll have to reroot is if you flash an official Samsung firmware that includes a secure kernel.