• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CWM beta WORKING!

Well I was going to try this out and flash a custom ROM. But I ran into a problem before i even started. ADB won't recognize my phone properly -.-. It will start the shell and connect with the phone, but once I try to actually do anything it says "error: device not found". I've tried with debugging on and off, and with it in software connection and software install states, and with it fully on and with it in bootloader. I've also tried it with ZTE's driver, and with the generic driver from google. I've even tried like 4 different USB ports (two 3.0 and two 2.0). I've been screwing with this for 5 hours now lol.

Can you guys think of anything?

What about a different usb cable :p

Upvote 0
I have a Supreme ZTE N9810 Android. I rooted it but I accidentally deleted 2 very crucial things... the ability to download apps I get the message android.process.media has stopped when I try to buy an app; and I also deleted something that can make my phone and the pc talk to each other. So when I tried fixing it through the pc, it will not talk to it. It recognizes theres a phone attached to it since it does charge it, but it will not talk to it. I have also tried this with a factory cable and it does not work.

I got frustrated and decided to do a factory reset and a reformat. Now everything is wiped out. After researching it for hours, I saw that I needed to download CWM to be even able to stock rom or flash (I'm a total newb)

I was finally able to find the terminal emulator app and download it to my sd card directly. I then transferred it to my phone and it actually works.

I started following your instructions but it tells me that the file doesn't exist (recovery.img). It is on the root of the sd card.

Please help me. I'm in a world of pain right now since I just paid for this phone on Friday and I'm sure I will not get a refund.

Upvote 0
Have you tried adb from ftm?

I hadn't. But now I have, and that still didn't work. The shell starts, makes the connection, and then spits the error out when I actually try to do something. :(

UPDATE :D
Somehow my phone and Windows are magically cooperating now. But now I have a NEW problem xD
Flashing CWM over looks like it worked, but then when I "su reboot recovery" it says "Segmentation fault" and when i try to manually do it, the stock recovery is still there.

Upvote 0
Still desperate but at least I was able to get the recovery.img to do open up. I had my phone connected to my pc and all of a sudden my phone and pc spoke to each other but ONLY to show me the image file which just confused me even more. My phone went black, even after I disconnected it from my pc, it had a red light on and blank. I took out the battery and decided to take a little break and clear my mind. This is probably frustrating for someone that knows, imagine someone that knows NOTHING about what the next step is.

I guess at least it's some sort of progress.

I hope you can give me some tips. I'm lost. :thinking:

Upvote 0
I didn't have to use the 0 or 1 and it did work. The problem is that it would just blank out. I have to take out battery and restart. It will not let me reboot it at all.

I don't have access to adb. I have seen the FTM screen but it just freezes. On the bootloader I do see a file called adb, but it just says to download the package I want and there's not package to download.:thinking:

Still clueless.

Upvote 0
I had to add 0 at the end of "sdcard" in the command line. Our SD cards are named sdcard0 and sdcard1. If the recovery image is on external SD use sdcard1 and internal is sdcard0.

Yeah I know, I've tried it from the external and internal SDs, changing the # appropriately, and even without the number. I've also tried "su dd if=/storage/sdcard"X"/........" with "X" being the number for whichever SD. Like I said though, it doesn't spit out the segmentation fault error until after i try to do the reboot.

EDIT: AHAHAHAHA I figured it out and I'm appalled at my stupidity. I noticed it wasn't switching to root to run the command, so I did just "su" by itself first before trying anything and that fixed it. Should have thought of that a long time ago considering how much i use linux smh.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info, I was able to boot to CWM recovery and did a back up which worked. Flashed a the two roms here, Mobsterz and Origin. I restored my back up as well and that worked great. My only problem is the recovery does not appear to be installed on the phone. When I reboot with the volume up I got to FME mode or whatever that is, I do not get the CWM recovery as an option or even as the default. Is there currently no way to boot to recovery without being hooked to the PC's usb port?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info, I was able to boot to CWM recovery and did a back up which worked. Flashed a the two roms here, Mobsterz and Origin. I restored my back up as well and that worked great. My only problem is the recovery does not appear to be installed on the phone. When I reboot with the volume up I got to FME mode or whatever that is, I do not get the CWM recovery as an option or even as the default. Is there currently no way to boot to recovery without being hooked to the PC's usb port?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Try volume down and power.

Upvote 0
tested and said to be working

you will need to be rooted

download the file and name it recovery.img and put it on the root of the sd, no folders just right on the card, so its in this location /sdcard/recovery.img

and use either adb or terminal emulator
if using adb youll need to do the
Code:
adb shell
command first, if terminal emulator you can just do the following commands without that part

Code:
su

dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

reboot recovery
new mirror, on a phone youll probably need to open it in chrome, stock browser opens it as text for whatever reason
http://unleashedprepaids.com/upload/devs/junkie2100/quantum_cwm.img

thanks to shabby, stevestone, everyone who got the necessary files, and everyone who bugged the hell out of zte to get the source

also, in theory it should work for the supreme but i make no promises... someone should test that out and make sure

and always remember. if it breaks your phone, a "sorry, that sucks" is all the compensation youre getting lol. use at your own risk

Recovery flashed perfectly, thank you!! I did try to do a recovery backup though and got "Can't mount /data!". Any ideas?

Upvote 0
still wont work for me. the file goes through but when I go to the next step to reboot recovery, it goes black with a red light on.

Have you tried a factory wipe? I would redownload the image and try again, I didn't have any issues using the recovery image Junkie2100 posted excepting when attempting a recovery backup. But my phone still boots and works fine.

Upvote 0
First of all i'd like to say thank you, For making this Recovery!!!,,.,.,.:)

Does anyone know the exact date it creates for Backup's?,.,.Backed my Stock ROM , and then i decided it'd be a brilliant idea to re-name it :p,.,.

If not no biggie,.,.

Oh yeah I'm a new guy on the block!, Haven't ever ran ADB before :).,,.But i've always rooted and flashed custom roms,.,.

Any help would be appreciated!

Upvote 0
First of all i'd like to say thank you, For making this Recovery!!!,,.,.,.:)

Does anyone know the exact date it creates for Backup's?,.,.Backed my Stock ROM , and then i decided it'd be a brilliant idea to re-name it :p,.,.

If not no biggie,.,.

Oh yeah I'm a new guy on the block!, Haven't ever ran ADB before :).,,.But i've always rooted and flashed custom roms,.,.

Any help would be appreciated!

its kinda random but just delete the nandroid md5 file and it should start working again

Reactions: who_knows_justin
Upvote 0
Cant get this to work.My phones soft bricked.I replaced a system files that the phone did not agree with. tried a factory restore which I think made things harder on myself. I can get into the FTM mode and the restore screen. any way, any ideas on what I need to do to move forward with this and get this thing up and running again. heres a screen shot of what im getting on command prompt

69044-08fba7282951fe5897453210227046bd.jpg

Attachments

• command.JPG
    command.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones