• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CWM] Development Thread

The reason cwm won't flash, is because the img is to big, has to be 5mb or smaller. So, I took the recovery I had, removed cwm's images (the images you see in the menu) and got it under 5mb. Flashed without a problem, except when I went into recovery mode, I just got a blank screen and every time I rebooted, it would loop booting into recovery. Thought I bricked the damn thing, but, if you enter the lte calibration mode, you can have adb access. So, I reflashed the stock recovery and all's good. Also, I had renamed recovery-from-boot.p and install-recovery.sh, as I had read that renaming these would help if cwm had issues sticking after a flash. I'm gonna reflash my altered recovery.img and rename the above mentioned files back to original and see what happens.

Edit: same thing, when boot into recovery, blank screen :(

Upvote 0
usually a dump_image will be the whole actual image so if the stock image is 5.2mb cwm should be less or equal to 5.2mb...for example the Droid Incredible recovery stock image is 4.50mb(via dump_image) a new recovery(not in a zip or watever) is 3.78 MB...the device will fill in the missing space wen dump_image is used....these are my thoughts im not really sure so yea i feel dumb now xD

Upvote 0
man, dunno. me and PG has tested several different builds of cwm and none work, he even built a cm7 ver. i can get it to flash, but just get a blank screen and phone keeps booting to recovery and have to re-flash stock recovery to get the phone to boot. i'm thinking maybe there is something in the kernel keeping a custom recovery from flashing.

Reactions: ahdunno
Upvote 0
When you split the recovery img, most of the information is in that.

I'm personally stumped as of now. I'm not too sure if it's the OS i was using, the compiler or any thing else. The number of warnings that come up is alarming, this is a terrible headache. The GCC compiler in Ubuntu is 4.7 now and the last non-bitchy one with CWM build was 4.3.1. It's beyond confusing because this problem even occurs with AOSP which is maintained by Google and the community. If we had a 3.X linux kernel for our phones this would be EASY.

Upvote 0
When you split the recovery img, most of the information is in that.

I'm personally stumped as of now. I'm not too sure if it's the OS i was using, the compiler or any thing else. The number of warnings that come up is alarming, this is a terrible headache. The GCC compiler in Ubuntu is 4.7 now and the last non-bitchy one with CWM build was 4.3.1. It's beyond confusing because this problem even occurs with AOSP which is maintained by Google and the community. If we had a 3.X linux kernel for our phones this would be EASY.

the compiler has nothing to do with any of this, im really confused on what you are saying..

Upvote 0
Yeah, the compiler has nothing to do with the recovery, I can build cwm all day and it wont work with this phone. For cwm to work, one will have to recompile the kernel from source, which we do not have, for it to work. PG an I have been collaborating with koush and utkanos on a recovery, but until the source is made public, there may be nothing we can do. The thing is, the recovery partition is only 5.1mb and a custom recovery is to large for the allocated space. That's why we need the source, that way we can remove some non essential code to shrink the recovery image.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones