CWM Recovery. Backup+Restore location

1. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

Now that I have the multiple rom bug, I been doing a little thinking in light of shotgun not being able to boot from a CWM backup.

CWM has no option but to store all backups on the phone's SDCard.
    If the phone cannot boot, your pretty much stuck with those backups, as I would imagine you wouldnt be able to mount the phone's sd card in windows after that point.

Wouldnt it be better if CWM also had the option to backup/restore from the External SDCard. At least this way when a restore point fails, as long as you have backup copies of your CWM restore points on your PC, you could replace the bad copy with (hopefully) a good copy on the external card, then boot into recovery mode, then job done.

Perhaps this could be a mod in the next version of CWM recovery? If anyone has any links to its developers, please give them the suggestion!

Advertisement
    :
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

It would, except that it's not possible to access /external_sd from recovery at present. It's a technical limitation, and not something easily solved.

I keep backups of my backups on PC, just in case. ;)
  3. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

Me too slug (even though I've only just started experimenting)

I'm sure there's a way for the CWM people to do it.
    I worked for years on unix systems, and the principle is the same. They should be able to mount the external card temporarily as long as they include the external sd card driver in their boot scripts. I've had to do similar to this with on many occasions when building PC's and having to boot up in su mode and access non-boot drives.

It would be nice tho, and an assuring thing to be able to fall back on if need arose.
    We'll just have to wait and see....
  4. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

My hunch is that it's down to the legacy /sdcard issue i.e. most devices do access the external card but on that mount point. Chainfire or another GS2 dev could probably McGyver a fix into the ClockworkMod Recovery code just for the GS2, but heaven knows what that would do to the likes of ROM Manager or anything else that makes use of recovery. Koush has to maintain a common base for ClockworkMod Recovery across all supported devices so the change won't come from him unless it's 100% certain not to futz things up for anyone else.