• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CWM v2.5.1.2 AND v2.5.1.3 HELP

DocQ

Lurker
Sep 18, 2010
Hi All... looking for some ClockworkMod wisdom and direction. I have 2 CWM versions on my device, and not sure if that's the norm... not... or safe. Here's my story (and I'm sticking to it):

Phone: i897 Captivate;
Build: FROYO.UCKB1;
Kernel: 2.6.32.9

Last week, I updated my phone to official AT&T Froyo 2.2 (UCKB1). I re-rooted (using SuperOneClick v1.7) and already had TiBU, RootExplorer, etc installed. Rooting went fine, and verified I now had "su" permissions. Since official 2.2 has stock 3e recovery, I added the modified 3e recovery so I could flash 'unsigned' zip packages. Then, installed ROM Manager from Market, and "Flashed CWM Recovery". I think this created the "update.zip" on my /sdcard root. I rebooted into Recovery (BLUE, modified 3e) then "reinstalled packages". After reboot, I dropped the voodoo lag-fix kernel ("stock+voodoo-Froyo-I897-UCKB1-unsigned.zip") on root, did 3-button boot to recovery trick, and was in GREEN (v2.5.1.2) CWM recovery. Then "install zip from sd-card" and selected my voodoo zip file, applied, and voodoo lag-fix installed perfectly in 5 minutes. After shutdown and another 3-button reboot to recovery, I saw I had RED CWM 2.5.1.3.

OK, now my questions/concerns:

1) now, when in ROM Manager if I "Reboot into Recovery", I go to GREEN CWM v2.5.1.2. From there I can go to "advanced", then "Reboot Recovery", and bam, I'm in RED CWM v2.5.1.3 (can also get to red using 3-button reboot to recovery). So, appears I have 2 CWM Recovery versions installed. I also have an "update.zip" on /sdcard root (assuming this is CWM v2.5.1.2 GREEN?) and "recovery-update.zip" in /sdcard/clockworkmod folder which I assume is CWM v2.5.1.3 RED? Is this correct?

2) is it OK/safe to have 2 CWM versions installed or should I somehow remove GREEN v2.5.1.2? How?

3) Should I delete the "update.zip" on /sdcard root or leave it? How can I tell what package that really is?

Thanks for listening... sorry for the long message, wanted to provide adequate detail regarding my concern. Didn't want to go any further down the road until I understand this CWM Recovery conundrum.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones