cyanogen help please

Last Updated:

1. istolvampire

istolvampire Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I would like to try cyanogen's latest build (although still not sure which one that is) but after trying to google everything I need answers to I am just getting more confused so I thought someone here could help.

I only have used sprecovery so this whole clockwork recovery is confusing. Says I need it but if I don't like cyanogens how hard is it to revert back to my adamz smoked glass that i have now with sprecovery? Don't even want to try and tackle the titanium backup thing.

Does Cyanogens come with busybox? Will I still have wifi tether and a kernel that supports it? What is this thing about having to install google apps in some special way as i read they are left out?

What I am looking for is all the cyanogen goodness (the ability to flip the phone and have screen rotate 180 degrees)with a smoked glass theme, stock theme or green theme, wifi tether(a must), moving wallpaper,overclocking and the ability to load my custom boot animations.

I like my Adamz smoked glass rom a lot but want to be able to rotate the phone and have the screen change. I have everything listed above except phone rotation now.

I have not had a single problem running Adamz rom or any issues with sprecovery. I can use these with ease so I am hoping someone can point me to an easy guide to make the change and answer a few of these questions.

Thank you for you time and help.

Advertisement
  2. CalledFollower

CalledFollower Well-Known Member

istolvampire likes this.
  3. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

All you need to do is download rom manager from the market and start by flashing clockword recovery. After that use clockwork to make a backup of your current setup. now you need to download the cyanogen rom, choose 5.0.6.2 and make sure you check off the google apps box when it pops up. Once that is done you check off the box for wiping data and cache and then it will reboot to recovery and begin the installation. After you setup your account and let everything finish syncing then you can go back into rom manager and hit menu then select developer mode and goto download rom then cyanogen and choose kernels, use any of the bekit ones, you don't need to wipe anything or make a backup when installing the kernel. Next thing you need to do is a google search f "wifi tether for android" and you will see a result from google code, get the newest apk for it pre10 I think. After you download and install that your almost done, to get a theme you need to go to CyanogenMod Forum and scroll down to the motorola droid themes forum, to install them just put the .zip anywhere on your sdcard and use rom manager to install rom from sd card then navigate to the .zip and select it but don,t wipe anything.

istolvampire likes this.
  4. sbursik

sbursik Well-Known Member

I have been using the ROM Manager and spent the few bucks to upgrade to the paid version. Glad I did. I can say that I'm really digging the Cyanogen ROM. What a great, stable ROM to build on. I have installed it and did the basic configuration and then backed it up so I can load all of the customized stuff on top of it that's out there. I have made about 5 different customized Cyanogen "builds" that I am playing with. I have tried MANY of the other ROMS out there but this one seems to be the MOST stable. No boot loops and very few forced closed apps. I'm sold on it.

istolvampire likes this.
  5. istolvampire

Thanks everybody. This was really helpful information and exactly what I was looking for. I am a little busy this weekend but will try it out just as soon as I can. I really am grateful for those who took their time to help me out and for these forums.

Also could someone post or send me a pm of the actual latest rom. I went to Cyanogen forums and then to droid but the only rom I see says koush on it. Is that it? and do I just put the rom on the root of the sd card? Thanks

6. CRPercodani

Yes the Koush ROM is CyanogenMOD for the Droid. 5.0.6.2 is the latest version as of now.

istolvampire likes this.
  7. istolvampire

Just put the rom on root of sd card unzipped? Is that correct?

8. CRPercodani

No don't unzip it.

istolvampire likes this.
  9. CRPercodani

You will also need the google apps, after you flash the rom flash them the same way.

istolvampire likes this.
  10. istolvampire

Ok I did it but it never asked me about google apps and now I have none. Can you help me please

11. CRPercodani

Well that's why I recommend using ROM Manager but hold on a second I will give you the gapps zip file. gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip just put this on your sd card and install it the same way you did the ROM.

istolvampire likes this.
  12. istolvampire

I used rom manager but it never asked. Thanks for the link

13. istolvampire

Now I cant load the google apps because rom manager says I need the latest version which i cant get without the market? I guess I am to noob for this. I also lost astro so have no idea where to go now.

edit. nevermind I got it

14. CRPercodani

You sure it didn't ask? I would be a little pop up box that you have to check off. Glad you got it working now anyway.

istolvampire likes this.
  15. istolvampire

I am trying to do the kernel part but no developer mode in rom manager. I had it before the cyanogen flash but now I don't. Any other way for me to get the bekit kernels?

16. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

Developer mode should be under the options menu when you hit the menu hard key while in rom manager...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

istolvampire likes this.
  17. CRPercodani

Yea dev mode is there, you need to be in the main menu of ROM Manager for it to show up when you hit the menu hard key.

istolvampire likes this.
  18. istolvampire

I am there and all I have is clear cache and settings?

19. CRPercodani

settings>advanced mode

istolvampire likes this.
  20. istolvampire

ok thanks got it. can you recommend a kernel for overclocking? Maybe one you use or like?

21. istolvampire

Also I have some icons i made that I used with smoked glass but now when I try to set them they are cut off. Like they are not sized correctly but I was just using them before cyanogen rom. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot. I know us noobs can be a pain.