Cyanogen low voltage kernals?

Last Updated:

1. Branndon

Branndon Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Searched here and alldroid, don't like alldroid so I'm asking here. I've tried Cyanogen after finding out I could nandroid back to BB if I didn't like it. Anyway it's running pretty warm, I tried adamz and chevys kernals and neither worked, I just read there is a hacked kernal for Cyanogen and low voltage, can someone link me to where I might find it?

Advertisement
  2. keepervq

keepervq Active Member

Branndon likes this.
  3. Branndon

trying now, thanks!

4. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

5. Branndon

They work, thanks again!

6. Branndon

i did it manually via adb push, not sure about the update.zip

7. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

I installed as a zip and it worked fine

8. DroidSuks

DroidSuks Well-Known Member

Yeah.. .zip works fine.. he also released the 7slot 1.2 with the extra governors ... now we can enjoy powersave in our profiles just like AdamZ and chevy's.

I've been running the kernel since he posted it... as cool and stable as AdamZ.

Thanks Adam for letting Brint in on the secret.. ;)

9. Branndon

10. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Thanks for sharing this info...I am loving the 1.2GHz kernel! Very nice so far!

11. funk1

funk1 Member

Can someone tell me how to install update.zip I went through the steps listed on the forums.but nothing happens. I download the file put it on my SD/card reboot then install but nothing happens.

Thanks for help!

12. funk1

funk1 Member

Can someone tell me how to install update.zip I went through the steps listed on the forums.but nothing happens. I download the file put it on my SD/card reboot then install but nothing happens.

Thanks for help!

13. Needsdecaf

Are you running the Clockwork recovery?

Put it on your SD card.

Choose install zip from card.

Chose the file.

Run.

It doesn't do much. It should say install completed, or something to that effect, then bring you back to the menu.

Reboot and look at set CPU. It should now match the kernel you have flashed.

I'm running the 1GHz kernel and I'm hoping that it's as cool and long lived as my Smoked Glass / low voltage kernel was before. Today's the test!

14. funk1

funk1 Member

I'm running sp/recovery.

15. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

It needs to be in the ROOT of your SD card, named "update.zip" if there is already something with that name, rename the old one so you don't get confused.

Reboot into SPRecovery and install update.zip

16. shizzy1427

shizzy1427 Well-Known Member

If youre using SPRecovery past 0.99.2 make sure you choose "allow update.zip" and then "install update.zip depreciated" and youre set

17. DroidSuks

Also you NEED to be running CyanogenMOD 5.0.5 or greater for this kernel. As far as I know this has not been tested on other ROMs.

Your more than welcome to try... just be aware that it will bootloop or freeze at the loader.. (stuck at the M). At which point you will have to flash an appropriate kernel or restore a previous ROM.

18. jackburnt

jackburnt Well-Known Member

My SetCPU settings have 550 (saved from different kernel), but 1.2 is 600. Should I change it? Or will it default to the closet one?

Also, is there a link to more information on governers? I always leave it "ondemand."

19. DroidSuks

Change ondemand to performance... then re-adjust the slider down and up.... hit the refresh button. This should fix the speed accurately.

Also you should reset your profiles... or set them according to your needs / desires.

Mine are:

Charging:
    Max: 600
    Min: 250
    Performance

Sleep / Standby:
    Performance

Power:< 45%
    Powersave

Failsafe:< 59.0c

Keep in mind that a LV kernel will have a short delay when waking from standby. This is one reason why I don't go to low on my Max values.

20. funk1

funk1 Member

that is what I have been doing, I get to allow update zip and it does nothing. I then tap on install updated zip and says bad file. When you say root of SD/card..do you mean SD card but not in a folder? Thanks for everyones help. Sorry I'm not getting this: (

21. jackburnt

Bad file?

Plug up your Droid to your computer and mount it. "Root" is no folders. Like Windows "root" is C:\. The root for your SD card will be on E:\ or whatever when you mount it.

The file should be "update.zip" exactly. Make sure it's not "update.zip.zip" or something like that.

If the file isn't corrupt; if it's "update.zip;" and on the root of your SD card, you should be set.

22. jackburnt

What's ondemand to performance change? I guess I'll look for more info on governors.

My settings are:

Charging/sleep: 600/250
    Failsafe: 400/250

That explains it a bit. What governor do people recommend?

23. Needsdecaf

I use ondemand. But to me, I'd rather lose a bit of snappiness to gain more battery life. I think it's a good compromise. The CPU will still ramp up performance for a real demand on it. But it won't necessarily be running flat out all the time, so transitions might not feel as "zippy".

BTW, I have to say that the standby temp is now down to 24 / 25 degrees C as it was before. I like this kernel.

24. jackburnt

Do things settle down? It doesn't seem as snappy as Simply Stunning. It's a bit slugish, but I hear it speeds up after a bit.

And what's your battery life? On Simply Stunning, I could go a whole day and be at 60-80%.

25. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Yes it does after a day or two, but I have also noticed that people that did not wipe data (possibly even system) prior to installing this have had more problems than those who did. Most people (myself included) thought it ran sluggish when they first loaded the ROM...and then it just took off. My screen transitions are fast, 3D app launcher is seamless, and now that MMS is fixed, Apps2SD is available, I don't see a downside to this ROM. I'm not saying that everyone should use this ROM, I just don't see a reason that you wouldn't want to run this (MMS not working dissuaded a few people in past releases).

Battery life for me seems fine. I've had it off the charger for about 7 hours and I am showing 80%. Only used it lightly so far today (I'm using the 1.2GHz LV kernel for the first day) so we will see how it ends up.