• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Cyanogen mod is horrible!

Harutyun

Mar 8, 2015
Hi I just flashed cyanogen mod 13 on my phone being told it is the same as android 6, now my phone looks like shit! (sorry for my language), please do NOT mislead people like this! How can I restore back to how my phone was? I'm rooted btw. Or better yet, is there a clean OTA for the moto G android 6 for me to flash?

Which model Moto G? From what I've read the 3rd Generation one will get 6.0 soon, the first generation probably not at all. But I would think you will want a full ROM rather than an OTA (OTAs are generally patches designed to be applied to a particular software release, rather than being full firmware builds that overwrite everything, so if you are starting from something different then an OTA is unlikely to be the right thing for you).

Anyway, CM13 is a ROM based on Android 6.0, so if you were told that it is Android 6 that is correct. However it is a version of the CyanogenMod ROM based on 6.0, so not identical to Google's 6.0 ROM. I doubt anyone intended to mislead.

So for restoring, the first question is, did you take a nandroid (a backup made by a custom recovery) before flashing the ROM? If so, just go into recovery and restore it and you have you old ROM back. It really is a good idea to make a nandroid before flashing any ROM. Otherwise choosing another custom ROM is the next simplest. There may be people who have made nandroid backups of the stock ROM (searching XDA-developers is usually a good way to find those), in which case you could download and restore one of those. In the limit there's flashing back to stock and then rooting again, but I'd hope you don't have to do that.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but I'm not familiar with this particular device.

Upvote 0
Just a word of caution. When restoring someone else's nandroid backup make VERY sure you have the EXACT same model and configuration down to release version, or you could end up with a very expensive paperweight. If you think you've found something that will work but aren't sure, then before you do anything, ask back here. We'll be happy to check for you.

Upvote 0
I am going to say this. And this is true for ANY ROM still under development.

CM13 is still new, there will be bugs and issues, some small some huge. And by huge I mean beautiful bricked paperweight huge.

Every ROM has its quirks, be it OEM or aftermarket like CM, Carbon, Candy5, OAKP, MIUI, etc, etc.

Why do you think a warning is put on the threads that offer ROMs. There is a inherent danger.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones