Cyanogen ROM + P3Droid OC = broken wireless?

Last Updated:

1. mode

mode Active Member This Topic's Starter

Nov 9, 2009
    I've had my phone since November, however, I've been researching root for a long time.

In any case, yesterday I did the following:
    • 2.0.1 Sbf downgrade
    • root
    • Tried to install busybox (although it broke along the way with could not find file errors so I did not sync the writes)
    • Installed ROM Manager
    • Installed ClockworkMod Recovery (a little disappointed that I couldn't find steps to manually do it).
    • Installed Cyanogen -<freaked out about not having google apps>
    • Installed the google addon EPE54B :)
    • Installed wireless tether from Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code
    • Bluetooth and wireless tethering working great!

So, this is where my problem is:
    I installed the 250/400/500/550/600/700/800 P3 overclocking kernel from P3Droid Kernels. It overclocks great, but, my wireless won't enable Has anyone had similar issues?

I know that P3droid's kernel includes the following:
    • Wifi Tether
    • USB Tether
    • Processor temperature monitoring
    • Conversevative and Powersave governor
    • TUN built in
    • ext2, ext3, ext4 built in

I suspect it was the wifi tether component of his kernel that broke my wireless functionality. My question is ... is there a way to get JUST the overclocking portion of his kernel? Then, I can restore and redo it.

On a side note, I'm using setcpu (which seems to be pretty common). However, that only seems to monitor battery temperature. I downloaded an app from the market called TempMonitor Lite which shows CPU temp. Does anyone else have other recommendations for that or is this also the defacto standard?

2. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Just to give you a data point - I have installed, Nextheme theme, and p3Droid 7-slot 900MHz kernel, and WiFi is working fine, no issues.

I had wireless tether pre-10 installed before adding the p3Droid kernel. No issues there either.

Not sure what's gotten twisted up for you, but first thing I would try is installing another kernel - either the 700 or 900 from P3Droid and see if that fixes anything....

TempMonitor is the defacto standard for battery and CPU temp monitoring.
    mode likes this.
  3. mode

mode Active Member This Topic's Starter

Nov 9, 2009
    Thanks Redflea. I did try another oc kernel. It seems to work fine on that one.

Maybe there was something wrong with just that one. Anyone interested in corroborating that with their droid? ^_^
  4. shizzy1427

shizzy1427 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    After flashing a kernel, when the wireless doesnt work, it is usually becuase the wifi module you have installed doesnt match the new kernel, and thats why it wont enable. Most kernel's include both but sometimes, things can get botched