• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Cyanogen Tazz 1.0

Upvote 0
Hey Luke,
Just flashed this ROM and am currently setting it up. I was wondering if you've been using it w/the JIT-compiler or not? I've heard from some people whose opinions I value that it doesn't make a difference on the Eris because our phone's processor is out of date compared to the ones JIT was meant for. And that it also can sometimes seems sluggish if it is enabled, but I'm wondering why it would be included in the ROMs if there weren't some potential benefit to it. Anyway, I'll let you know what I think of it once I've had some time to mess around. Thanks for the heads up!

Upvote 0
Awesome! Yeah, so far the only issues I've had are with the camera... I took a picture, deleted it, and then it got stuck trying to get back to the camera, froze up and I had to pull the battery. Also, I've been trying out the Google Voice Actions, and there's been a little funkiness going on there. It's fine at first, but there's a way to tell it to do something (send a text/email, etc.) and then hit the microphone button again to add more-- and it seems to force close every time. These are pretty small things but the only ones I've noticed so far. Of course, it could just be my phone too. Other than that, so far so good.

Upvote 0
Usage is the biggest factor, Luke. If your device is basically just sitting there with the screen off most of the time, you'll get tremendous battery life as compared to those of us who receive and make ten to 30 calls per day, send out and receive a lot of text messages and several emails, browse the internet and play Meteor. ;)

Not to mention those who actually use their telephone to play radio ("Pandora") and/or music half the day (but they're all kids of 60s hippies :D).

Upvote 0
Main 710/528
Temp 245/245
Charging 710/710
Screen Off 480/480

Luke, just a thought and not intending to step on toes or anything. But I question the way you have your charging profile set. MY thinking is that charging tends to warm a battery anyway, so the charging profile should have a lower down-side setting. I set mine at 710 and 248, that way it CAN slow down if it doesn't have anything better to do.
But, you have a temp setting that's very low, depending upon how you have your percentages set it could override the charging setting, and my point becomes moot.

Upvote 0
Usage is the biggest factor, Luke. If your device is basically just sitting there with the screen off most of the time, you'll get tremendous battery life as compared to those of us who receive and make ten to 30 calls per day, send out and receive a lot of text messages and several emails, browse the internet and play Meteor. ;)

Not to mention those who actually use their telephone to play radio ("Pandora") and/or music half the day (but they're all kids of 60s hippies :D).

Oh ya usage will tell the tale. Going without a signal is probably one of the biggest battery killers.

I would say my total usage yesterday was as follows:

Calls 2hrs 14 mins 03s
Texts between 80-100
Checked and sent around 15-20 emails.
I have my Email set to check every hr and weather updates every hr.

Now I know everyone is different but the above is probably my average daily use for my phone. This ROM seems to last the longest out of all the ROMs I have tried.

Luke

Upvote 0
Luke, just a thought and not intending to step on toes or anything. But I question the way you have your charging profile set. MY thinking is that charging tends to warm a battery anyway, so the charging profile should have a lower down-side setting. I set mine at 710 and 248, that way it CAN slow down if it doesn't have anything better to do.
But, you have a temp setting that's very low, depending upon how you have your percentages set it could override the charging setting, and my point becomes moot.

Your right I probably could turn it down while charging. I usually don't have an issue with the temp while charging unless im using wireless tether.

Upvote 0
Oh ya usage will tell the tale. Going without a signal is probably one of the biggest battery killers.

I would say my total usage yesterday was as follows:

Calls 2hrs 14 mins 03s
Texts between 80-100
Checked and sent around 15-20 emails.
I have my Email set to check every hr and weather updates every hr.

Now I know everyone is different but the above is probably my average daily use for my phone. This ROM seems to last the longest out of all the ROMs I have tried.

Luke
that is some insane battery life if your doing all of that. are you using the stock battery? or the 3500mah?

Upvote 0
Ya thats it.... it friggin rocks. Ive had my phone unpluged for 15 mins, sent 2 texts and the battery is still @ 100%.

ive been unplugged after a full charge for a little more than 2 hours now, have sent/received about 20 txts and i downloaded 2 apps from the market, im at 97%. im using kaosfroyo tho.

if battery life is what youre looking for, kaosfroyo is THE BEST rom! hands down. thats not a knock on tazz either, he has done great work on his rom, i just didnt see the battery life i wanted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones