• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CyanogenMod 5.0.7 (Android 2.1) on post e911 magic

Okay, so I'm finally preparing to take the plunge and root my wife's Dream using GBD's guide from here: Rooting your Rogers E911 Magic or Dream using exploid script. The GreatBigDog Report

Puleen sent me a link yesterday to this: Official myTouch 3G Froyo Build Ported to the G1, Brings Life to a Legacy Android Device | AndroidGuys

A port of Froyo from the MyTouch 3G that apparently will work on the G1 (Dream).

What I want to know is, can I use GBD's guide to root the Dream, install this Froyo port, and still have the proper radio to make sure I don't lose data from Rogers?

Appreciate any and all help. If this goes well, I'll root my Magic next. ;-)

Upvote 0
oh boy, it is about time. :)

I can't speak to the Dream but it is similar to the Magic, only the details differ. For a 2.1 ROM you can use the old or the new radio depending on the rom, new is preferred if you can. The 2.2 ROMs work best with the old radio unless you can live with a slightly less functional camera. In either case there is a specific radio version that will stay happy on Rogers without cutoff. I've run my Magic for over 10 months on various ROMs and after the initial 911 fiasco I kept data as long as I flashed the right version of radio.

Upvote 0
Okay, so I'm finally preparing to take the plunge and root my wife's Dream using GBD's guide from here: Rooting your Rogers E911 Magic or Dream using exploid script. The GreatBigDog Report

Puleen sent me a link yesterday to this: Official myTouch 3G Froyo Build Ported to the G1, Brings Life to a Legacy Android Device | AndroidGuys

A port of Froyo from the MyTouch 3G that apparently will work on the G1 (Dream).

What I want to know is, can I use GBD's guide to root the Dream, install this Froyo port, and still have the proper radio to make sure I don't lose data from Rogers?

Appreciate any and all help. If this goes well, I'll root my Magic next. ;-)

So did you take the plunge?

Upvote 0
Not yet. Saturday was taken up by an epic game of Axis & Allies (Spring 1942), and Sunday I had to go to a baby shower (Yeah, i know, only girls are supposed to go to baby showers, but this one was for my impending baby, so my wife made me go).

Hopefully this weekend.

Just to be clear... can someone please tell me which radio I need to have to make sure I don't lose data? I have no intention of signing Rogers silly form.

Upvote 0
Not yet. Saturday was taken up by an epic game of Axis & Allies (Spring 1942), and Sunday I had to go to a baby shower (Yeah, i know, only girls are supposed to go to baby showers, but this one was for my impending baby, so my wife made me go).

Hopefully this weekend.

Just to be clear... can someone please tell me which radio I need to have to make sure I don't lose data? I have no intention of signing Rogers silly form.

Baby showers are "fun"... and she roped you in for no reason, I was excluded from my first child's baby shower. :) Got to go to the strip club w/friends while they were playing the wonderful baby shower games.

Anyways, the Rogers approved radio for Dreams is 3.22.26.17. It's the E911 Dream radio. But be warned, your mileage may vary. My self and others have had issues with that radio(loss of network connection, both data and phone; requires reboot/air port mode cycle to restore connection). If you've applied the E911 patch to this phone and had no connectivity issues you should be fine.

Upvote 0
Yes, the Dream is a Post-E911 model (came with it).

I'm still not clear on how this all works.

I understand that rooting a phone is not the same as installing new ROMs, although the former is required to accomplish the latter.

If I install the Cyanogen 2.1 ROM for the E911 Dream after rooting, will this replace/change the radio, or is the radio something that is separate from the ROM itself? That's something I don't quite understand... do ROMs include the radio, or is the radio a separate thing.

If I root the Dream and install Cyanogen for 2.1, do I need to worry about the radio?

Upvote 0
Yes, the Dream is a Post-E911 model (came with it).

I'm still not clear on how this all works.

I understand that rooting a phone is not the same as installing new ROMs, although the former is required to accomplish the latter.

If I install the Cyanogen 2.1 ROM for the E911 Dream after rooting, will this replace/change the radio, or is the radio something that is separate from the ROM itself? That's something I don't quite understand... do ROMs include the radio, or is the radio a separate thing.

If I root the Dream and install Cyanogen for 2.1, do I need to worry about the radio?

You don't have to worry about the radio if its a Post E-911 Dream, just the SPL and the ROM.

Follow GBD's Dream instructions and you'll be fine; just substitute the AOSP ROM that you mentioned for CM6. :) BTW, it is an excellent ROM, I put it on my fiancee's dream over the weekend, and shes loving it, quicker than CM6, more free memory, etc.

If need be I can dig out the procedure.txt file his script generated for me, and post it here. Just let me know.

Reactions: mjschmidt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones