• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CyanogenMod 6.0.0-RC1

I am new to Rooting and adding in Roms, I need a little help, I downloaded CM6 with ROM Manager, rebooted in recovery following the prompts in ROM Manager, but when it reboots in recovery that is where I get lost, I cannot seem to find the file anywhere to select on the sd card. Where does ROM Manager and Clockworkrom save the file when I download it through ROM Manager..... any help would be greatly appreciated

Rom Manager does everything for you. When you click to download CM6 it will ask to make a backup and then wipe cache+date, i recommend to do both before install. When you click those it will do all of that and install CM6 no searching for the rom via the menu.

clockworkmod/download/bit.ly/99YEcu i believe is the actual file location. Correct me if im wrong.

Upvote 0
I keep getting force closes with launcher pro, plus none of the kernels besides JDLFG work on this build. JDLFG kernels never did well with my phone, they always ran hot. Switched back to BB. I loved the features and ideas CM brought to the table, but it's useless if things that I need don't work.....like say Launcher pro....

You should let Cyanogen settle in for a while. I had problems with LauncherPro as well, yesterday, but its running butter-smooth today. My benchmarks in Quadrant are no less than 1400. I love Cyanogen and I believe my rom-switching days are over now!

Upvote 0
I'm going to offer my thoughts on this new Cyanogen as I now have 24 hours of experience using it and playing with it.

First, and FOREMOST... in my opinion, if you're going to take this rom for a test drive, do something more than just take it around the block. Try it for a morning, a day, a few days... your Droid needs time to fully adjust to this rom.

Second, there is an incredibly AWESOME Black Glass theme for this version of Cyanogen. Here is the link: 928DroidBlackGlass2-2-CM6-RC1-Clear-update.zip

This theme will also turn the status bar black, which is GREAT... but alas... you will have to go into SETTINGS>CYANOGENMOD SETTINGS>USER INTERFACE and change your battery and notifications to WHITE or whatever color you want if you want to see them in the status bar (otherwise your status bar will be solid black).

Even if you're using LauncherPro, you can still pick one of the ultra-cool wallpapers from the ADW Launcher Wallpaper Gallery.

With the Transparent Dialer and Transparent Contacts, awesome Black Glass Theme and wallpapers, this Cyanogen version is the most incredibly AWESOME looking ROM of any rom currently out there, in my opinion of course.

Now for performance... I experienced butter-like smoothness after about half a day. I also turned off all animations because I like to zip, zip, zip in and out of screens and apps.

LauncherPro works extremely well if you give it TIME. It also helps if you turn OFF the 3-D App Drawer (mine was not opening properly) and set the speed to 9 (in my case 10 caused problems). LauncherPro is extremely snappy and robust and STABLE with these settings on my Droid.

A few have asked about kernels... the "Chevyno1, medium voltage, 1.1Ghz" works like a charm for me with any rom I try. Temps never go higher than 110F at the most, and it usually is around 90F - 100F under moderate usage.

I keep my SetCPU governor maxed out on Performance, with the highs and lows set to 1.1Ghz. I have this set up in my SetCPU profiles as well for every senerio except for temps greater than 120 degrees or battery dropping below 8%. My benchmarks in Quadrant are almost ALWAYS above 1400.

There are many GREAT roms out there. But I have found my home now. With all the customization that you can do - not just to this rom, but also to your Droid using this rom - and all the features that this rom provides that no one else does - all this with amazing stability and speed - I will probably stay right where I am until the official CyanogenMod release comes out.

Upvote 0
I'm going to offer my thoughts on this new Cyanogen as I now have 24 hours of experience using it and playing with it.

First, and FOREMOST... in my opinion, if you're going to take this rom for a test drive, do something more than just take it around the block. Try it for a morning, a day, a few days... your Droid needs time to fully adjust to this rom.

Second, there is an incredibly AWESOME Black Glass theme for this version of Cyanogen. Here is the link: 928DroidBlackGlass2-2-CM6-RC1-Clear-update.zip

This theme will also turn the status bar black, which is GREAT... but alas... you will have to go into SETTINGS>CYANOGENMOD SETTINGS>USER INTERFACE and change your battery and notifications to WHITE or whatever color you want if you want to see them in the status bar (otherwise your status bar will be solid black).

Even if you're using LauncherPro, you can still pick one of the ultra-cool wallpapers from the ADW Launcher Wallpaper Gallery.

With the Transparent Dialer and Transparent Contacts, awesome Black Glass Theme and wallpapers, this Cyanogen version is the most incredibly AWESOME looking ROM of any rom currently out there, in my opinion of course.

Now for performance... I experienced butter-like smoothness after about half a day. I also turned off all animations because I like to zip, zip, zip in and out of screens and apps.

LauncherPro works extremely well if you give it TIME. It also helps if you turn OFF the 3-D App Drawer (mine was not opening properly) and set the speed to 9 (in my case 10 caused problems). LauncherPro is extremely snappy and robust and STABLE with these settings on my Droid.

A few have asked about kernels... the "Chevyno1, medium voltage, 1.1Ghz" works like a charm for me with any rom I try. Temps never go higher than 110F at the most, and it usually is around 90F - 100F under moderate usage.

I keep my SetCPU governor maxed out on Performance, with the highs and lows set to 1.1Ghz. I have this set up in my SetCPU profiles as well for every senerio except for temps greater than 120 degrees or battery dropping below 8%. My benchmarks in Quadrant are almost ALWAYS above 1400.

There are many GREAT roms out there. But I have found my home now. With all the customization that you can do - not just to this rom, but also to your Droid using this rom - and all the features that this rom provides that no one else does - all this with amazing stability and speed - I will probably stay right where I am until the official CyanogenMod release comes out.

How is your battery life with those setCPU profiles. I have been running this rom all day yesterday (flash two nights ago) and I ended yesterday at around 40% battery left on moderate usage (music for about 2 hours, gaming for an hour, web browsing for an hour, etc). I am using chevy's ULV 1 ghz with my profiles set as:

550-1000 -> normal
250-250 -> screen off
800-400 -> bat < 50
550-250 -> temp > 50 C

It runs at around 30-35C though so it is running super cool

Upvote 0
How is your battery life with those setCPU profiles. I have been running this rom all day yesterday (flash two nights ago) and I ended yesterday at around 40% battery left on moderate usage (music for about 2 hours, gaming for an hour, web browsing for an hour, etc). I am using chevy's ULV 1 ghz with my profiles set as:

550-1000 -> normal
250-250 -> screen off
800-400 -> bat < 50
550-250 -> temp > 50 C

It runs at around 30-35C though so it is running super cool

I use 3 batteries total, and I keep them all freshly charged! I keep my screen dim if I need to have it on for an extended period of time, but other than that, I'm usually well into my second battery by the end of the day, at times I'm on my 3rd battery if I'm working a 12+ hour day.

That's with long and frequent phone calls and streaming Air1, Slacker and Pandora in-between.

Upvote 0
I use 3 batteries total, and I keep them all freshly charged! I keep my screen dim if I need to have it on for an extended period of time, but other than that, I'm usually well into my second battery by the end of the day, at times I'm on my 3rd battery if I'm working a 12+ hour day.

That's with long and frequent phone calls and streaming Air1, Slacker and Pandora in-between.

3 batteries!? haha.

Granted I don't use my phone 24/7, but I go to bed at 80% on light use days. Typically I'm usually around 40-60%.

SetCPU is at 700 max and 250 min on chevy's 1ghz ulv kernel. It's been a loooong time since I've had my Droid nearly die on me. Now that I think about it, it's been since pre-rooting. I find 700 to be the sweet spot for speed and longevity.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Can I flash this over BB0.4 without doing a wipe?

You can try. :) It's 2.2 over 2.2, and I have done some flashing of 2.2 roms over each other, but there is potential for issues. I lost root (e.g., superuser.apk stopped working) when I flashed sapphire over another 2.2 ROM...had to wipe data to fix things.

So you can try, and if things start getting weird, or you have strange performance issues, etc., you should wipe data. Note that mtwebster does recommend wiping cache when you apply this.

Reactions: timwilso
Upvote 0
Ok so this is weird... I rebooted today (I have rebooted a few times since installing this) and all of a sudden it is like I don't have root... I have cleared everything in SuperUser and even when I try to run a root program it doesn't even pop up to ask for root access. Anyone seeing this?

As I just noted below, I lost root when I flashed the sapphire rom a while back.

Symptom was that superuser app disappeared from my app tray and apps couldn't get root access. I tried flashing superuser.zip in recovery and though they flashed fine, superuser still didn't show up/no root access for apps.

Wiped data, and all was well...superuser was there all the time, just a conflict w/something stored in data that was blocking it.

I've seen others report this issue and either flashing superuser.zip or wiping data fixed it for them.

Upvote 0
Update: This seems to be a problem between SetCPU and the new SU app... It does not support the set on boot option (have no idea why... here is the expenation from over at the CM forums):

Problem:
Some people are having problems with the new SU 2.2.2 such as apps not being given root permissions on boot (which can cause force closes or other undesirable behaviors).

Another problem people may notice is that SU stops giving root permissions to any app after a few reboots (or after a boot with "set on boot" enabled in SetCPU).
I wiped several times and selectively restored certain apps, but regardless, after a couple reboots SU just quit giving permissions (setcpu, root explorer, Rom Manager, etc said "no root priviledges").

You may never see this problem if you never enable "Set on boot" in SetCPU (since 2.2.2 no longer works with that setting) and you aren't using any other apps that request root on boot (such as autokiller). If you boot with those enabled however, then it apparently hangs SU sometimes and prevents it from giving anything else root permissions. So, either disable those settings in your apps or use a prior version of SU as stated below.

FIX:
You can just flash the 2.1 SU app from recovery (or 2.0.3 if you prefer). You should be able to flash it over 2.2.2 without any problems.

Or if you so choose, you can include it in RC1 like I did so you don't have to flash both at any point in the future (if you ever plan on flashing RC1 again). Just replace the SU related files (system/app/Superuser.apk and system/xbin/su) in RC1 zip with the corresponding ones of the SU2.1 zip above, then wipe, and reflash everything.

Everything seems to be working fine with 2.1 now.

If you want to keep the new SU and have accidentally ticked the "set on boot" option, you should be able to clear data for setcpu (or autokiller or whatever app is doing the boottime requesting), clear cache, and reboot (i say should b/c I didn't verify, it's just a hunch).
Or possibly just delete their entries in SU (if it doesnt FC) and reboot.

Reactions: UBRocked
Upvote 0
Dumb question, but I haven't found a post that addresses this.

I moved from Cyanogen to Froyo when the code was leaked (various versions, now on JRummy's). I would love to move back to Cyanogen but I'm curious, is this ROM built on/inspired by/ or otherwise like Froyo? I'm very attached to the way it works and I wouldn't move back to 2.1 if you paid me. Well, maybe if you paid me...

Upvote 0
Update: This seems to be a problem between SetCPU and the new SU app... It does not support the set on boot option (have no idea why... here is the expenation from over at the CM forums):

Good find ska.t73! The only issue I was noticing so far was this (posted last night):

Trying to change the sampling rate and Up Threshold on SetCPU and despite having "Set on Boot" checked...it reverts to 30000 (SR) and 93 (UT) every time I reboot. It also keeps telling me that "SetCPU has been granted Superuser permissions everytime I change a setting.

I'm flashing back to SU 2.1 now...and hopefully that fixes it (I'll let you know).

Update: Flashed to SU 2.1 and all is right with the world now ;)

Upvote 0

I moved from Cyanogen to Froyo when the code was leaked (various versions, now on JRummy's). I would love to move back to Cyanogen but I'm curious, is this ROM built on/inspired by/ or otherwise like Froyo? I'm very attached to the way it works and I wouldn't move back to 2.1 if you paid me. Well, maybe if you paid me...

CM6.x is all Froyo, built from source, cool extra features (UI/interface tweaks, performance tweaks, HID BT support, incognito browser window support, etc.).

Upvote 0

Not sure if this is what you were asking but CM6.0 is the Cyanogen froyo rom so yes it has all the 2.2 goodness you have come to love with other roms plus more cyanogen goodies.

Upvote 0

Good catch...I had forgotten about that issue initially and was coming back to post about it - glad you found it on your own. I rarely reboot so I've not bothered to roll back my setCPU version, haven't noticed any other issues.

Upvote 0
Also, JDLFG has a new set of CM-specific kernels for the CM6 RC...I can't find his feature list, but I know he said that among other things, they integrate a "powersave" feature.

These are listed as test kernels by jdlfg. I did do a nandroid before installing, something I usually don't do for a kernel.

I'm running the 1050 w/out issue. Got a 1250 quadrant, highest I've ever gotten w/a 1050. Wifi works fine.

Again, these are for CyanogenMod only.

Test Kernels v.32.2.2cm

800: http://bit.ly/aid7KO
900: http://bit.ly/d6RnoH
950: http://bit.ly/dquYIe
1000: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6011176/omap.v.32.2.2/jdlfg1000.v.32.2.2cm.zip
1050: http://bit.ly/do4Lwi
1100: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6011176/omap.v.32.2.2/jdlfg1100.v.32.2.2cm.zip
1150: http://bit.ly/brIsTX
1200: http://bit.ly/blZ1sE
1250: http://bit.ly/a12bqV

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones